linux distros....best one IYO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linux distros....best one IYO

okay weve had alot of posts lately about people wanting linux help....and the first step is selecting the best "version" to use...so can those who actually use linux list what distros that they use....for generall usability and gameing....thx for the help to all those that have actually helpd us linux virgins.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: linux distros....best one IYO

Good site for Linux newbies:
    http://distrowatch.com/

Best part is the Major Distributions page:
    http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Gives a description of the larger distributions with some pros and cons. The larger distros are a good place to start since they have more support. Best of all, they are mostly free. Make sure to click on each link to get to the distro page. There you will find many websites that includes support and reviews. Just do a lot of reading to find which one may interest you. Dont be afraid to experiment. That's the best part since there is a lot of free stuff out there, unlike Windows.

BTW, I use SUSE and Unbutu.
    -33rd- BaneII
    Smokers & Jokers

Comment

Distrowatch is pretty much THE place for distro information. You can search by popularity, distro type, etc. You can even email Ladislav with suggestions, comments, etc...and he will respond. Nice guy.

A good site for tips and tricks is
      http://www.brunolinux.com/

I like it because even if it is a little Mandrake focused, it lays everything out in an easy to understand way, and covers a lot of the linux basics.
      Last edited by Mateo; 12-04-2005, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I use Fedora, and I wouldn't recommend it for beginners. It's bleeding-edge, and only supported for a year because it changes so fast. It's targeted at people who need the very latest features from all the packages. I have FC2 deployed on 3 servers, but FC5 is about to come out, and FC3 is about to go into "legacy" mode, where another group supplies critical updates only (kinda like MS treats Win2k).

Other Red Hat distros are Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) which is fully supported and you pay a lot for it (because it's a server OS) and CENTOS (can't remember what the acronym means), which is community-supported RHEL (ie. free). They have longer lifetimes but the downside is that the latest packages may not yet be available.

I've used Red Hat since 5.2 and switched to Fedora from RH 7.2.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

ive actually used FC3 and 4 liked both of them...i thought they were easy to use and we fun doing it....right now i got Ubuntu installed and imma try and get WINE installed so i can try that out....
          -Vulcan

Comment

I used to use Linux as my primary OS some years back (I miss it). This was primarilly during the 2.0-2.2 kernels (I started with RedHat 5.0). I have dabbled a bit since and currently have an old laptop with Fedora Core 3 on it that I mess with from time to time.

I should be building a new box soon (Finally! After WAY to long...) with a couple big hard drives in it so I'll be starting it out dual boot (XP 64 Pro and Fedora probably) then hopefully migrate back to pure Linux bliss.

For a new user I'd start with one of the more major established distributions. I'm a bit out of touch these days but I'd choose among some like:
            A RedHat EL free clone like CentOS.

Fedora Core (A closer to the bleeding edge but not quite bleeding edge RedHat development distribution). Edit: I wouldn't recommend a new user to use a fresh Fedora Core release in its first month or 2, but once it has been out for a bit anything missed in beta review usually gets ironed out. Right now Fedora Core 4 is quite stable and Core 5 is in beta release cycle. The real thing to note about the more close to the bleeding edge distributions is that while they're usually fine for regular use/learning/exploration/play they should be avoided for 'production' high reliability systems. They're generally fine for day to day workstation use by the time they get released and age a month or 2. ;)

Suse.

Mandriva? (Seems they took over Mandrake which I'd always heard was very new user/installation friendly... Note: I've always found RH and Fedora very easy to install).

Debian (used to be a bit trickier on the install but easy updating once set up).

Gentoo perhaps? (An expert user friend of mine uses and likes it and it's FreeBSD Ports derived packaging system but it might be a bit much for a neophyte).

Most distributions of substance have good mailing lists, and archives, as well as some online docs and other resources to refer too for help. There are many many different web sites with useful information too.

Hmmm... Well this is stupid. I can't post any links because the board says I haven't posted enough yet... Go figure. :(

Oh well, I tend to ramble on anyhow so here endeth my ramble.
            --
            Life Sucks! Then You DIE!!!

Comment

thanks for all your responces.....maybe we should get a linux forum added so we can chat there.....after this semester is over (8 days) ill be looking in to this more...
              -Vulcan

Comment

Thanks, Chuckles, you said it better than I. If you don't mind loading a new OS every 6 months and let someone else burn their knuckles when it first comes out, Fedora's a good distro for desktops.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I guess Gentoo, but I would definitely NOT recommend it to someone new to Linux. Well, for some people I would, but not to the average Windows user. Been using it as my main OS for 3+ years now. It may be a bit easier to install these days because I think a graphical installer is floating around -- used to be everything was installed via the command line.

The great thing about Gentoo is the community support.. The forums, mailing list, and IRC are all GREAT places for getting help. I've sat on IRC for 3 or 4 hours at a time, several times, helping new folks get their installs up and running. Whatever problem I may have at the time, I can usually find my answer on their forums or by asking a quick question in an IRC channel.

I don't think there is a perfect distro for everyone out there, but that's what makes Linux great -- the choice. You'll probably have to try a few to find one that suits you.
                  Battlefield Admin() ()
                  [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                  [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                  | for | |

Comment

The one thing I can't get to work is booting from LiveCD on a windows 2000NT. I got it to go into operating system select once, but then it only came up with windows as a select option :(. It was Knome 2.x (one of them).

Comment

I vote for Gentoo if you want to learn all the ins and outs of linux. It takes a lot to setup but the great thing is http://www.gentoo.org has an installation handbook. It explains step-by-step the installation process. The forums have lots of documentation on getting specific pieces of hardware running or how to get something set up.

I honestly knew nothing about linux before Gentoo. I ran other distros but it just had GUI installers that didn't teach me a thing about how the OS worked. I tried to configure hardware but kept looking for a magical control panel. Documentation was sparse until I found the Gentoo community. I never had to ask questions because they were already answered there.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I think i'll step up to Gentoo after i get a bit more familiar. Trooper you may wanna try the Vector Soho version, it has KDE and Wine. The installer for it is very user friendly too. Documentation, forums are pretty good too.

- -

Comment

okay maybe ill try that......thanks vulcan
                          -Vulcan

Comment

I investigated more distros over the weekend and I think I've decided to start with Ubuntu.

Crappy thing is the CD-ROM in the machine my friend gave me decided to go belly up so I wasted time trying to get Unbuntu installed when it looks like I need to get a different CD-ROM before I can do anything.

Comment

yah i have ubuntu and i like it....tis real easy and fun to use...alot of info about this distro
                              -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...