Never buy Maxtor!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never buy Maxtor!

Last week my Maxtor DiamondPlus 9 200GB hard drive gave warning in the BIOS boot screen that it would fail soon. Running diagnostics confirmed that the drive was dead. The drive is about 18 months old, out of warranty. It is a replacement that failed after 3 months. Maxtor has a warranty of only 1 year (for bare drives). E.g. Seagate has 5 years.

I am staying away from Maxtor from now on. I have never had a harddisk fail in my life (I destroyed a couple). Having one manufacturer fail twice is too much.

Re: Never buy Maxtor!

I never buy Maxtor...

At this point, I will only buy Seagate Barracuda drives and nothing else. All drives fail, but after managing 100+ workstations/servers and watching the failure rates of various manufacturers I have been sold on Seagate Barrcuda quality and longevity.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Well, crud, I just bought a Maxtor 300GB and loaded it into an external case for large work transfers. That's not a good sign. I hope mileage will vary.
      In game handle: Steel Scion
      sigpic

Comment

That's weird this information says 3 years. Ah i see you bought it 18 months ago, after the new warranty. That sucks.

I've had my maxtor for 2 years and never a problem.

- -

Comment

I think everyone has a favorite brand, and a brand that they'll tell everyone to avoid. HD companies have been playing games with their warranties the past year or two.. Sometimes, the retail box warranty is actually far shorter than the OEM whitebox which makes absolutely zero sense to me.

I have 5 or 6 months on my DiamondMax 10 and am very happy so far... All previous drives have been WD's (nothing wrong, 1 did fail but under warranty and it was a drive I didn't use much anyways), so making the switch was a tough mind-hurdle for me.
          Battlefield Admin() ()
          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
          | for | |

Comment

Eh, I personally love seagates, and will buy WD's if I get a good deal. Never had one of either fail on me while it was in active duty.
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Maxtors are kind of hit and miss from alot of user reviews. I stick with Seagate and WD.

---

Comment

Well I'm at the verge of dropping WD from my list, and it so far has nothing to do with the drive. I bought a WD external hard drive in June which had a rebate on it, but WD won't honor the rebate because they claim they never got the UPC symbol with my submission (over the subsequent months I have submitted every single UPC symbol that was on the box). They keep saying they're looking into it, but I can fax the UPC symbol to them in the meantime - after I've told them at least 4 times there are no UPC symbols left.

I've always been leery of rebate offers, and when they say you didn't do something right you're basically screwed. So the drive ends up costing me 50% more because they lost the submission materials or they're lying. Either way, it amounts to false advertising.

As for Maxtor, I used to have Maxtor drives back in the day when 4 gigs was a big deal. I found them to be unusually noisy, but they never died on me. I don't think they put a lot of quality control into most consumer-grade hard drives, but instead maybe they go for an 80/20 rule (80% are good, to get the other 20% good would cost them too much).

Drives are so cheap, it's tough to justify getting too upset about it. Just pray you have good backups or don't care what's on that drive. :)

Comment

Heh, of course, as soon as I sorta defend Maxtor, my Grandma's boyfriend's HD dies today.. And it's a Maxtor. Getting it back up and running on his AOL dialup connection won't be much fun :(
                  Battlefield Admin() ()
                  [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                  [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                  | for | |

Comment

I have had virtually every brand of HD fail on me at one time or another, and several of them happened in the last year.

I have fallen back to my old friends at Seagate recently. Seagate is likely the only brand with which I have never had a failure. Of course, my last Seagate before the 3 200 Gig drives I just bought was a 20 Meg drive, so it has been a little while. :)

For the record... 2 Maxtors and a WD in the last year. A Samsung 6 years back, a Toshiba, and a Maxtor again before that. Those are the ones I can remember. Not sure if my Quantum retired or died.

Luckily, I never do anything of value with my computers. :P
                    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

The majority of mine have been Maxtor.. a few have failed. I think it is really just a preference thing. My Samsungs have been good. I had a series of Seagates go bad in a short period of time once.. Pretty normal stuff.

I'm uncertain tho.. I've had my OEM Maxtor's replaced promptly at the 24-36 month range.. no-questions. They also replaced them with the current-day norm.. I.E. 40GB's were replaced with 60's etc.The seagates we didn't bother replacing, I don't remember why.. maybe 'cause it wasn't my money or something..
                      sigpic

Comment

I manage 1000+ computers for my company and Seagate Barracuda is the only type of HD we order with new computers or as replacement for failed drives. For the last 5 years never had to replace one of them.
                        |TG|Bodark
                        96th Assault Group

Comment

i got a maxtor right now its been over 18 months its gettin loader thats all i know. hey man too bad it must suck having a drive that big fail. seagate makes awsome drives so do IBM.

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
                          Delta MICS
                          Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

Originally posted by slugslinger
                            i got a maxtor right now its been over 18 months its gettin loader thats all i know. hey man too bad it must suck having a drive that big fail. seagate makes awsome drives so do IBM.
                            IBM? That scares me.. Remember the DeskStar drives that were aptly dubbed "DeathStar"? I just pulled an all-nighter on Wednesday because of one of those damned IBM DeathStar drives. Replaced it with a Barracuda. :-)
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                              IBM? That scares me.. Remember the DeskStar drives that were aptly dubbed "DeathStar"? I just pulled an all-nighter on Wednesday because of one of those damned IBM DeathStar drives. Replaced it with a Barracuda. :-)
                              hmm so i wrong about IBM? i recalled hearing about IBM makin decent or good Hard Disks.

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
                              Delta MICS
                              Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse