Linux Dual Boot with USB?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Dual Boot with USB?

Hey. Linux guru's... I'd like to pick your brain for a moment.

On my system, I have my first sata hard drive split into two, first part is NTFS with my windows, and the remainder of the drive is reserved for Linux. I've already installed, upgraded, and configured Core4.

Now, here's the question. I think I read somewhere that I can configure my system to boot into Linux ONLY if my usb pen drive is plugged in. Anyone have any experience with this? Is it possible? My motherboard does support USB boot, so I'm assuming it's just a matter of configuration. btw, I've overwritten my MBR, so as of right now I cant access my Linux install.

Hope someone can help me out here!!!
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Re: Linux Dual Boot with USB?

You could put GRUB on your pen drive, add an appropriate grub.conf, and boot off the pen drive. GRUB is a pretty flexible boot manager. (I've got GRUB in my MBR to select between XP Pro 64, FC4 i386, and FC4 x86_64. Every new kernel installed adds a new GRUB entry so I can easily go back a kernel if the new one won't boot.)
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Re: Linux Dual Boot with USB?

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
      You could put GRUB on your pen drive, add an appropriate grub.conf, and boot off the pen drive. GRUB is a pretty flexible boot manager. (I've got GRUB in my MBR to select between XP Pro 64, FC4 i386, and FC4 x86_64. Every new kernel installed adds a new GRUB entry so I can easily go back a kernel if the new one won't boot.)
      Scratch has it right here. My question is Why? You can setup Grub on you Hard drive and have it boot in to Windows first if you want. You can the amount of time to see the grub menu or only show the menu if you hit ESC.
      Kemotaha

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X