formatting and re-installing...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• formatting and re-installing...

By years end I plan on formatting and re-installing Windows XP fresh... I usually do this about every 2 years because of all the demos' and beta's I participate in... I just like a nice, clean, fresh install once in a while...

I've done this many times before, so no noobie to it, but this year theres something different...

With my new(er) system, I got Windows XP Media Center on a DVD instead of a CD like usual...

now I know how to boot from CD, delete the partitions, make new ones, then install windows... but a DVD won't boot, it's not bootable...

I called Tech Support and they did tell me that I just had to go into bios and tell it to boot from the DVD drive first instead of the CD drive, then after Windows is installed, change it back... but I really don't want to do that...

I have a laptop and with it came a Windows XP home version CD-ROM, I have 2 questions...

1. is there a way to boot from the windows CD, format then install windows from the DVD windows disk in the second (DVD) drive?

or if not...

2. Can I just install the home version on my desktop, and still be able to set my desktop as the main computer in my wireless network, (with slaves being my laptop, X-box 360, PSP, and Handheld Device.)

(I had heard that the home version don't allow home networks?)

Thx for any info... hope not to long or hard to read/understand.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: formatting and re-installing...

Originally posted by Magnum50
    I called Tech Support and they did tell me that I just had to go into bios and tell it to boot from the DVD drive first instead of the CD drive, then after Windows is installed, change it back... but I really don't want to do that...
    Why not? its a very easy solution.

1. is there a way to boot from the windows CD, format then install windows from the DVD windows disk in the second (DVD) drive?
    No.

2. Can I just install the home version on my desktop, and still be able to set my desktop as the main computer in my wireless network, (with slaves being my laptop, X-box 360, PSP, and Handheld Device.)

(I had heard that the home version don't allow home networks?)
    First, if you install the home version on your desktop you may run into problems activating it because you already have it installed on your laptop. Second, as far as I know there is no "main" computer on a wireless network, but I doubt you will run into problems as far as your network is concerned.
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

messing with the bios is something I always prefer not to do, but thanks for the info... guess I'm going to have to.
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

XP Home "allows" home networks just fine. I've never run into a problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50
          now I know how to boot from CD
          How else would you boot from a CD? You've got me thoroughly confused...
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Booting from either CD or DVD is done by loading an image of a floppy from the media and booting that. The BIOS change just involves making the drive eligible as a boot source. It's not an unsafe change. Depending on the sophistication of the BIOS, you might have to change the "boot order", setting the desired drive to be looked at before the one you've been using. (I routinely move any floppy drive to the end, to keep from ever booting from a possibly-infected floppy. I change the order back only when I really, really want to boot from a floppy.) My DFI BIOS lets me hit a key at boot time to go to a "boot menu" and select an arbitrary source instead of the default. I can pick any drive or the network.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Same as ScratchMonkey, but I just keep my HD at the top of the list, and go in and change the CD/DVD to a higher priority for the rare times I need to boot from that. No sense in checking those optical drives when I don't need to (I'm more interested in speed, and I don't have a floppy drive).

The networking limitation of XP Home is that it cannot join a Domain.. If you don't know what that is, then the limitation won't affect you :)

If you REALLY do not want to make the DVD drive bootable, you could probably boot from the floppy discs then run setup from the DVD drive.. Or create yourself a bootable CD that leaves you at a DOS prompt and run setup on the DVD from there. I'd kind prefer to change the boot order.
              Battlefield Admin() ()
              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
              | for | |

Comment

Agreed with Kormendi and Perry (who agreed with ScratchMonkey).

The change to the BIOS that's required here is a really easy, simple, very safe change. It's nothing you should be hesitant or concerned about, and something you actually probably SHOULD be familiar with.

Of all the BIOS changes you may need to do in your gaming experiences, this is easily the simplest, cleanest, and the one with the least effect on the rest of your system. Fear it not.
                "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
                - Lazarus Long

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...