Need some opinions and help on new rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some opinions and help on new rig

I am going to attempt to put together a new rig. I have a amd athlon 64 3400+ 754 socket and have found a motherboard to run SLI. I want to run 2 6800gs video cards. I have a gig of ddr 3200 memory and will eventually get another stick for 2gigs I have a 80gig sata HD. Will a 550 watt power supply be enough power or should I go with a 600watt and if anyone has a suggetion on a power supply that is reasonably priced I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks

Ps i'm thinking about this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103931
    got it off the forum

Pss I know the 754 socket isn't as good as the 939 but the price was right (free). Trying to do this on a budget
    sigpic

Re: Need some opinions and help on new rig

I'm a pretty big fan of Antec... And it's SLI certified, so you should be good to go...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I kind of like this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103512

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Question about your planned video setup, for doing a gaming rig on a budget, is the SLI 6800GS's worth it?

Looking at some benchmarks, seems like the SLI 6800GT's (faster than the 6800GS's ?) are only slightly faster than a single 7800GT. But the single 7800GT is $200 cheaper than 2 6800GT's, and $100 cheaper than 2 6800GS's.

ref benchmark
        http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/...iii/index.html
        Some games in there don't like SLI and/or have HDR (serious sam 2) where the 7800GT does much *better* than the SLI 6800's. Other places the SLI 6800's are just slightly faster than the 7800GT.

ref price/stats From newegg:
        6800 GS $210
        core 425MHz
        mem 1GHz
        pixelPipes 12
        openGL1.5???
        mem 256Bit

6800 GT $250
        core 350
        mem 1GHz
        pipes 16
        openGL2.0
        mem 256Bit

7800GT $290
        Core 445
        mem 1GHz
        pipes 20
        openGL 2.0
        mem 256bit

Comment

I'd agree with Addict. A single higher end card can be a better value and still perform quite well (sometimes/frequently better than, depending on the card[s]/game...) compared to SLI'n a couple lower cards.

I'm planning to build a (long overdue) new box soon and am probably going to shell out for a single higher end card rather than go SLI right off, though I'll get an SLI board for future expansion capability. I'm looking at an AMD a64 x2 4400-4800+ and Asus' A8N32-SLI board with a 7800GT/GTOC/GTX/GTX-512(in my dreams) with 2 GB of Corsair or Crucial ram as a kind of starting point right now... Still have more hardware research to do though.

A note about socket 754: It doesn't support dual channel memory access like socket 939 allows, so it might not really be worth it to add another gig to that 754 rig right now. It's also going the way of the dinosaur much sooner than 939 is.

If you have an existing socket 754 chip and already have a single pci-e x16 motherboard IMO it's a waste of $ to get an SLI motherboard for it. If you don't have a board for it... The difference in price between a single x16 and SLI one probably isn't that huge but it just doesn't seem like a good value to me to go SLI on s754.

As for SLI capable PSU's PCPower & Cooling has one of the best reps I know of but they're hella expencive (like $250 for the 550w model I'm considering). If I can't swing that myself I'll probably be going with one of the higher end active pfc dual +12v rail SLI capable Antec PSU's (which tend to run in the $110+ AFAIK).

Damn I ramble too much... :o

P.S. Yes that PSU you linked should do SLI fine if you go that route with the 754 chip. So go read some of the card reviews at places like Tom's that compare a wide range of single and SLI configurations before you decide.
          --
          Life Sucks! Then You DIE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Addict
            Question about your planned video setup, for doing a gaming rig on a budget, is the SLI 6800GS's worth it?

Looking at some benchmarks, seems like the SLI 6800GT's (faster than the 6800GS's ?) are only slightly faster than a single 7800GT. But the single 7800GT is $200 cheaper than 2 6800GT's, and $100 cheaper than 2 6800GS's.

ref benchmark
            http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/...iii/index.html
            Some games in there don't like SLI and/or have HDR (serious sam 2) where the 7800GT does much *better* than the SLI 6800's. Other places the SLI 6800's are just slightly faster than the 7800GT.

ref price/stats From newegg:
            6800 GS $210
            core 425MHz
            mem 1GHz
            pixelPipes 12
            openGL1.5???
            mem 256Bit

6800 GT $250
            core 350
            mem 1GHz
            pipes 16
            openGL2.0
            mem 256Bit

7800GT $290
            Core 445
            mem 1GHz
            pipes 20
            openGL 2.0
            mem 256bit

Well I had decided to go with the 6800gs because I had found them on mwave.com for $199.00 http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec....iteria=AA39230. I also figured that SLI would give me much more performance than a single 7800gt for about the same price. But what I could gather in that T.H article that that's not the case. I might have to reconsider. I was also kind of curious as to how well this 3400+ 754 sckt would work SLI with this motherboard. Now I'm all confused:row__528:
            sigpic

Comment

First off thanks Addict and chuckles for your help.....but now I'm even more confused. I just wish they would slow the release of these cards down because I can't tell which is which and what's the difference between all the 7800 cards. The cheapest card I have found is $319.00 on pricegrabber.com from newegg. Any more advice I can get from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks
              sigpic

Comment

From Nvidia's SLI FAQ:
                What graphics cards support SLI technology?
                All PCI Express based GeForce 7800 GTX 512, GeForce 7800 GTX, GeForce 7800 GT, GeForce 6800 Ultra, GeForce 6800 GS, GeForce 6800 GT, GeForce 6800, GeForce 6800 XT, GeForce 6800 LE, GeForce 6600 GT, GeForce 6600 and GeForce 6600 LE boards support SLI technology.

The current NVIDIA Windows XP drivers for Quadro also support SLI for NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500, Quadro FX 4400, Quadro FX 3450, Quadro FX 3400, and Quadro FX 1400 boards.
                The differences between the 7800GTX and GT are:
                7800GTX: 24 pixel & 8 vertex pipes, 430MHz core, 600MHz mem
                7800GT: 20 pixel & 7 vertex pipes, 400MHz core, 500MHz mem

The newest 7800 card which is called the 7800GTX-512 actually has some additional core tuning and tweaking changes as well as supporting 512MB of ram and faster core/mem speed.
                7800GTX-512: 24 pixel & 8 vertex pipes, 550MHz core, 850MHz mem

There are some 'factory' overclocked cards too (Most notably BFG's excellant 'OC' cards) which bump the stock core and memory clock speeds a bit over their regular counterparts right out of the box. I like BFG's cards myself. They have a good rep and probably the best warrantee of any card maker.

The latest Nvidia drivers seem to have reduced the pickyness of which cards can be used in SLI together which is cool when buying 1 now and upgrading later on.

Try having a quick run through of Nvidia's SLI site (and thier FAQ section) for more info and of course check the specs of the actual card/s you buy to make sure too. You'll have to find it yourself since I am not allowed to post links.

Grrr! STILL can't post links! Such a silly rule. :icon_mad: (Do you really have that much spamming and trolling trouble in the forums!?!?!)
                Last edited by Chuckles-TLC; 12-07-2005, 08:28 PM.
                --
                Life Sucks! Then You DIE!!!

Comment

Go with a single 7800GT. Its the best bang for the buck as far as high end cards go. 2 6800GS SLI'd may beat the 7800gt at lower resolutions without aa/af but when you start upping the res and turning on AA/AF the extra muscle and pipelines of the 7800gt will really shine. Plus you save $100.

I would really only recommend SLI to people who want to go faster than the best single card on the market. That of course usually involves a lot of money....
                  |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid
                    Any more advice I can get from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks
                    Here's how I would use SLI: Get the best card you can afford right now, and then a year from now when you're actually needing a graphics update, you can get another card (for half the price they're selling for now) and extend the time until you need to overhaul your system.

I don't know if the cost of two SLI'd cards will ever be cheaper than the cost of a single card with equivalent graphics rendering power, but spreading it out over time has got to be the most wallet-efficient way of doing it...
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X