S.o.s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.o.s

This is really becoming a bad day in a hurry. I seem to have completely lost my HD. I have a 80gb Sata HD. I was in the bios checking on some settings and I have either mistakenly changed a setting or my HD just decided to crap out at that moment. My system no longer detects my HD:icon_eek: . Poof just like that. I have gone into bios and I can't see anything that relates to sata. The only boot devices it will allow is floppy and cd rom. Does anyone have any suggestions.....I have combed over it and I just can't get it to recognize the HD. I have even changed data channels from sata2 to sata1 on mobo. Same results. Is it possible to fry a HD while in bios? I can't even do a repair with XP disk because it doesn't recognize HD. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    specs
    2.4c pent 4
    MSI k8n neo 2 mobo
    1gig 400mhz mem
    80gb HD
    XP home
    Sapphire Radeon 9600 256mb vid card

Thanks
    Drizz
    sigpic

Re: S.o.s

Originally posted by Drizzid
    This is really becoming a bad day in a hurry. I seem to have completely lost my HD. I have a 80gb Sata HD. I was in the bios checking on some settings and I have either mistakenly changed a setting or my HD just decided to crap out at that moment. My system no longer detects my HD:icon_eek: . Poof just like that. I have gone into bios and I can't see anything that relates to sata. The only boot devices it will allow is floppy and cd rom. Does anyone have any suggestions.....I have combed over it and I just can't get it to recognize the HD. I have even changed data channels from sata2 to sata1 on mobo. Same results. Is it possible to fry a HD while in bios? I can't even do a repair with XP disk because it doesn't recognize HD. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    specs
    2.4c pent 4
    MSI k8n neo 2 mobo
    1gig 400mhz mem
    80gb HD
    XP home
    Sapphire Radeon 9600 256mb vid card

Thanks
    Drizz
    When I had a similar symptom, I found that my hard drive wasn't getting power due to an odd passthru from a fan. Perhaps you're experiencing a similar power-type failure.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Check your cables (SATA and power to HD).Try to connect to secondary SATA. I don't think your HD crashed.
      |TG|Bodark
      96th Assault Group

Comment

wouldnt the HD stil be HD0 in your boot process or HD1..
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Try resetting the CMOS.
          |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

Well I have reset all fields back to default settings, swapped power supplies. Still nothing, I can't get the HD to be recognized. I just don't know what else to do. Anybody have any other suggestions I would appreciate it thanks.
            sigpic

Comment

Next is to find a new (known to be good) drive cable and swap that out. I have had cables fail but never a drive cable. They don't get abused much unless you're digging inside your box rearranging things constantly.
              --
              Life Sucks! Then You DIE!!!

Comment

Well I have reset the cmos using the jumpers on the mobo just to make sure that it was completely reset. I have bought a new sata drive and that is not being detected either I wonder if the mobo is smoked. Any way to test it?
                sigpic

Comment

If your getting into BIOS, then your mobo isn't fried. Like Chuckles said, try a different SATA cable.
                  |TG-33rd|Dark_Viper

Comment

Try to take out CMOS battery and disconnect power to mobo for a minut or so and try to connect the drive. Update mobo BIOS with the latest firmware version after that.
                    |TG|Bodark
                    96th Assault Group

Comment

Get a hammer! :D
                      "Umm Deputy these aren't my pants" - Common alarm cry of the North American Crackhead
                      [tg-c1][ma-c1][defense]

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle
                        Get a hammer! :D
                        Yup a really big one!!!!still can't get it to recognize sata.:row__531:
                        sigpic

Comment

I got it figured out. When I reset the bios to the default I didn't realize it resets the "parallel" setting to just parallel. It needs to be set to "parallel and sata" for it to recognize the sata drive. Go figure. Thanks to all who gave suggestions and tried to help I do appreciate it. Thanks

Drizz
                          sigpic

Comment

I was going to say RTFM - read the fine manual, but the good old trial and error beat me.

Comment

Originally posted by marstein
                              I was going to say RTFM - read the fine manual, but the good old trial and error beat me.
                              Yeah that only applies when you can find the "fine" manuals:)
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X