S.M.A.R.T. : Status Bad : Backup and replace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.M.A.R.T. : Status Bad : Backup and replace

I just lost my primary slave (endentured servant, whatever) drive with the above error in my BIOS.

I've disabled S.M.A.R.T. in my BIOS and still can't get to the drive, at all. Windows acts like it's not even on the bus.

Any idea how I can get to the drive's data? I only use this disk to store everything I ever download, so it's nothing I can't download again. But it takes a long time to download that much stuff, and I'd like to retain the data when I replace the disk.

Any help makes me happy.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Is the BIOS registering the drive?
    Can you see it under Computer Management?
    If so, does it act like it's no longer formatted?

Could be a corrupted FAT table. If it was formatted in FAT32, there's a repair option with FDISK. If it's NTFS, you mat need to get something like Partition Magic to repair it. I'll do some more research when I get off work.

Comment

The Bios sees the drive, yes.

Computer Management does not, and used to (obviously).

NTFS.

I'll look at Partition Magic.

Thank you.

Wyzcrak
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

What happens when you take a really strong magnet and place it next to the drive? ;)

Comment

The magnet probably sticks to the drive. :D

- It's who you game with.

Comment

and all your data will stick to the magnet ;)
            From Adam Webb

Comment

DUH! :)
              I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X