Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon XP to AMD 64 X2

Hi All,

I have just bought a new m/board -Asus 939 dual sataII- as i want to upgrade from my athlon xp to a 64 x2 chip.
    My question is will i encounter problems when i put the hard drive onto the new board as it ihas the 32 bit OS on it. I only have the oem recovery discs for my machine and an XP Pro Upgrade Disc but i am aware that there is a 64bit OS for the 64 chips.
    Will there be problems, if so what can i do?

Re: Athlon XP to AMD 64 X2

You shoudn't incur any problems with the 32 bit OS. I'd also check with Microsoft because for a while they were offering a free upgrade to the 64bit OS.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

If you swap out your motherboard, the OS will have to be reinstalled. If you just have your OEM recovery discs, it most likely won't work with new hardware. It's probably a system restore that is configured for your old hardware.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Yeh from my experience swapping the motherboard will corrupt the OS install requiring a reinstall overlay or even a clean install if things get really bad.

Comment

Thanx for the help guys,
          As my xp pro is an upgrade disc, when i want to do a fresh install, it requires the original home edition during installation and that wont work with the oem discs.
          Do you know if the 64 bit OS is a full edition or is it an upgrade ?

Comment

I should mention that, at least from a gamer's perspective, you'll probably get more bang for you buck with a higher-speed, single-core Athlon than you would with a dual-core. It'll be a while before most software is designed to take advantage of dual-core CPUs; in the meantime, only one of your two cores will be effectively utilized. In the case of, say, an X2 rated at 3800+, you're getting two Manchester cores at 2.0 GHz and 512K of cache, which makes each core the equivalent of a 3200+ processor. For the same money, you could get a single San Diego core at 2.4 GHz and 1MB, rated at 4000+. That's a very significant performance increase.

In terms of 64-bit: it probably won't hurt, but it also probably won't help. Again, it'll simply be a while before the software catches up to the hardware.
            |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

I suggest avoiding Windows XP x64 for a while, as I have heard that there are still quite a few driver compatibility issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Just G
                Thanx for the help guys,
                As my xp pro is an upgrade disc, when i want to do a fresh install, it requires the original home edition during installation and that wont work with the oem discs.
                Do you know if the 64 bit OS is a full edition or is it an upgrade ?
                Got any Windows98 or ME or 2k disks laying around somewhere? Those will make the XP upgrade installer happy.

If your OEM disc has an i386 directory on it, it probably will also make the XP upgrade program happy.
                Battlefield Admin() ()
                [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                | for | |

Comment

Or 98SE discs, for that matter. And swapping the motherboard doesn't corrupt the OS install, XP binds itself to your motherboard when it installs, so if you change it, XP sees different hardware configuration and purposely craps itself out. If you get a new motherboard from the same brand as the old one, or one that runs the same chipeset and/or bios as the old one you can occasionally fool XP. Otherwise the only answer is a reinstall, and the OEM recovery discs are not a true copy of WindowsXP, like you get when you buy it from a store. The PC builder was able to get it cheaper by only binding it to your one, exact PC, whereas a home/pro edition of XP can be transfered as often as you care to.
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

So am i right in understanding that i dont have to put the 64 bit OS on and can just reinstall xp 32 bit?
                    From the advice i have received(thanks all) I will now get a single core 64 chip and borrow my mates home edition to appease the upgrade disc.
                    Thanks Again guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Just G
                      So am i right in understanding that i dont have to put the 64 bit OS on and can just reinstall xp 32 bit?
                      Yes, that is correct.

Comment

I once swapped the OS disc onto another motherboard. The 'new hardware recognized' thing of Windows came up and then things ran flawlessly. You may not have to reinstall. Just maybe remove the device drivers you know won't be needed and reboot on the new mobo...

Comment

Excellent. Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMann
                            I should mention that, at least from a gamer's perspective, you'll probably get more bang for you buck with a higher-speed, single-core Athlon than you would with a dual-core. It'll be a while before most software is designed to take advantage of dual-core CPUs; in the meantime, only one of your two cores will be effectively utilized. In the case of, say, an X2 rated at 3800+, you're getting two Manchester cores at 2.0 GHz and 512K of cache, which makes each core the equivalent of a 3200+ processor. For the same money, you could get a single San Diego core at 2.4 GHz and 1MB, rated at 4000+. That's a very significant performance increase.

In terms of 64-bit: it probably won't hurt, but it also probably won't help. Again, it'll simply be a while before the software catches up to the hardware.
                            thats starting to not be true. Quake4 gets 40-80% improvement from dual core, so does fear, and a few other latest games

not to mention Gfx drivers now offload some work to the second core.

Two heads is always better that one fast one.

also, the moving the harddrive over problem.

one way of doing it, is using the "repair" install option that can be started when you start installing Windows from the XP disk. But its often better to start fresh anyway.
                            From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag
                              thats starting to not be true. Quake4 gets 40-80% improvement from dual core, so does fear, and a few other latest games

not to mention Gfx drivers now offload some work to the second core.

Two heads is always better that one fast one.
                              I agree that software is starting to take advantage of dual-core processors, but I think there's still a ways to go and I believe that there's better value in single-core processors for the time being. Difference of opinion, I suppose.

I do disagree somewhat with the "two heads are better than one fast one" philosophy. A single processor with performance x is superior to two processors with performance x/2 simply because of the MP overhead alone. That said, I love dual processor machines because two "x/2" processors tend to be much less expensive than one "x" processor, and I still use dual-CPU machines for my non-gaming computers. I even looked at an Opteron-based system for my most recent machine, but unfortunately the motherboard options are relatively poor for gaming-oriented systems.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X