Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alright how else doesn't run anti virus on there PC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright how else doesn't run anti virus on there PC?

I was wondering about this. Am I the only one at TG that doesn't have anti virus software?
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: Alright how else doesn't run anti virus on there PC?

I have it but it's always disabled.

Comment

nope your not alone. I don't
      sigpic

Comment

I installed XP on my new pc August 03 and have never used anti-virus or done a reinstall/format/etc. Occasionaly I'll do a online scan at trendmicro but it never finds anything. My software/hardware firewall combination keeps things out and my lack of stupidity("wow I don't know who you are but that sounds like a great email attachment...I'll open it!" ) surely helps as well.
        |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

i dont either, so long as your careful and know what you doing you can go without it just fine

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

I never used to run antivirus, then my school provided a free version to those who lived on campus. Now I run a nightly scan, but keep the auto protection turned off.
            Steam Community: | |

Comment

I don't either. I make use of online scan tools occasionally. And i have a router/firewall. Havn't been hit yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed... it does make me worry somewhat when others(wife, visiting friend, etc) use my computer...

Comment

I use ClamAV on my system, but shut it off during gaming. That's the only time AV is off though.

Comment

I use norton, but it gets annoying at times. The one thing that I hate about it is when you load up a game, and a window keeps on popping up asking you if you want to allow the connecton. Grrr, that always gets me.

Comment

There's this great free anti-virus application now... it's called Firefox

http://www.getfirefox.com

Comment

I have never used anything and have never had any problems.

Comment

I use ClamAV at the email gateway on all my servers, to keep my users from doing something unfortunate. And they have AV on their PC's.

I've had it on mine but typically run with the automatic mode disabled, because I know what I'm clicking on. If I have the slightest doubt, I'll run a manual scan. And I use a very non-standard email client (Mulberry) that doesn't try to run anything that looks remotely executable. I'm using Mozilla Seamonkey for my browser so I'm not subject to the usual browser-initiated crap. I monitor a number of security announcement sources so I have early warning of coming threats.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Re: Alright how else doesn't run anti virus on there PC

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
                          There's this great free anti-virus application now... it's called Firefox

http://www.getfirefox.com
                          Good advice, but this should be considered only one layer in a defense in depth. Many Firefox users assume they're immune from threats, and fail to keep the browser updated, leaving themselves with as many vulnerabilities as IE users.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

well i visit a handful of sites and beyond that, i don't really have any issues. Intelligence probably has alot to do with virus infections too.

- -

Comment

I use ClamAV on my linux laptop, Norton IS (firewall and av) on one xp pro box (the one I do most gaming on), and Avast's free AV version and Zonealarm on an old 98se desktop as well as a higher end Toshiba notebook with XP Home on it.

Norton is kind of anoying and its subscription is about up so I'm thinking of dumping it (they charge way too much for yearly update subscriptions IMO). Never really had much trouble with Avast or Zonealarm on a windows box but Norton IS has hosed my connection and required a full uninstall/cleanup/reinstall a few times after one of its own updates fubar'd itself.

I have run without av on windows for long stretches in the past but I tend to be a bit paranoid and I never use IE. I've been using Mozilla based browsers since Moz 0.8 and touch IE only for windows updates. I have also NEVER used M$ Lookout[express] for mail.

I would never recommend running any box without a firewall however.
                              --
                              Life Sucks! Then You DIE!!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...