need help with picture program

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with picture program

I have taken a load of ingame screenshots for BF2 in the commander screen. With these I am hoping to create a 'map' of Karkand by overlaying the pictures to get a full sized map. I have taken enough to do it (and specifically made the density enough so that tall items are seen from above, so as not to make it too confusing).

The problem I have is that the actual image I want is only a section of the screenshot, and I am waaay too lazy to crop 50 pictures. Anyone know of an art program that can do this? I expect some have a macro or something that could whiz them out. I use paint.net, and can't find anything in there to do it.

thanks in advance!

Re: need help with picture program

ImageMagick for Windows, using the convert program that comes with it and its crop option. Make yourself a little script that runs all the images.. It'd take me about 10 minutes to do it on Linux, most of that time being spent figuring out the coordinates to use.

If a zip file of your images isn't too big, upload it and I'll do it for ya. Doesn't look like installing ImageMagick on Windows is too easy now that I look for info on it.
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Comment

http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm - Google found me that, it may be easier to use than my silly command line stuff. Says it does batch image cropping.

http://jpegclub.org/ - jpegcrop from there looks like it does what I was talking about, as far as offerring a command line program to automatically crop an image.

http://www.irfanview.com/ - this does do batch processing, and can do batch cropping.. I've used it before, but not for this purpose.

Anyway, you've got a few options now, and Googling for "batch photo crop" got me some good results if none of those work.
      Battlefield Admin() ()
      | for | |

Comment

i can do this in photo shop......if you wanna send me them or something i can do it for you
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

thanks perry, but I gotta go with the lazy option ;)

here ya go trroper (10.82Mb)

http://www.maelstromcrew.net/tg/bf2ss.zip

about a 100 in there :)

++edit - apparently corrupted.. looking into it

++d'oh, closed the upload prog before i finished uploading it... sush a newb... should work in about 3 mins...

++done

Comment

Indeed, took exactly 10 minutes including uploading ;)

www.tacticalsites.com/~perry/wulfyn.zip

Just hollar if you need more or less of the image included.. I just cropped around the yellow border thingies.

for x in *.jpg ; do convert -crop 693x689+319+40 $x $x ; done -- pshshs.. who needs Photoshop.
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            | for | |

Comment

okay i got the pics....what direction did you start taking them....bottom to top or how...so i can atleast get an idea where to start
              -Vulcan

Comment

perry it wont let me + rep, but your a genious!

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

perry's got quite a few +rep coming as soon as I spread some more around!

that's perfect mate - now to assemble them *hint hint*

I started in the middle and went right then up and back left to the top. Then back to the middle then left then down. It made sense at the time (although that time was 2am...)

Comment

Yea, you did quite a bit of skipping around now that I actually look at the pictures :icon_lol: From around 85 up till the end things are pretty normal, going in an easy to assemble grid type pattern. Below that, and it gets pretty hairy, and some areas are duplicated.

Luckily, if you look in the top left of the uncropped picture, you can see the portion of the map that is zoomed in. Would make stitching a tad bit easier. You'll be working with a huge image once it's all assembled though. Maybe that hint will help Trooper ;)
                    Battlefield Admin() ()
                    | for | |

Comment

so its just a big spiral....i can do that once i find the middle pic
                      -Vulcan

Comment

not a spiral, more of a:

<----------------\
                        /-----------------/
                        \---------

picture duplicates are becuase the overhead image is still 3d. So things like tall buildings would look very odd, and not even mesh if you kept their involvement restricted to the edge of an image. The stacks near the factory are the best example of this, and the blatent extra SS here was purely to get one that was directly overhead - so yeah it's not as simple as just slotting them side by side.

The lower numbers are not so important, and were only kept in because they might be useful for meshing other pictures in. As for a starting point, well I'd start at the west end of the land bridge ;)

Comment

Hmm - I''m going to have a shot at this, if ya don't mind. Or maybe we could allocate segments or something - a real team effort.

Edit: I just looked at them and now I need a nice cold (preferably alcoholic) drink. Woah. So....confusing....

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
                          |TG-2nd|munchkin
                          Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Nice. Then I had something to do today:)

It is not so easy when we deal with 3D images. So I need more pictures of some areas.
                            They are marked with red on the image.

The Photoshop file has 80 layers and is aprox 200 MB

The link to the image is resized down to 314 kB and is optimized for viewing on the web. So the original picture is much better

(As you see, I need more pictures :) )
                            sigpic

Comment

nice job...i totally forgot about this....i was playing EVE all day yesterday
                              -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...