Webmasters: Coral cache

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webmasters: Coral cache

When some big news blog like SlashDot or Digg finds your site, it can melt down under the sudden bandwidth draw. To combat this, it's customary to post links on those sites using the Coral Cache. One simply adds ".nyud.net:8090" to the end of the hostname in the link so that those reading the article pull the "victim" site's content from the cache instead of the real site.

What's particularly interesting for webmasters is that you can take preemptive measures to protect your site from the SlashDot effect by "Coralizing" your image links and other large files:

http://wiki.coralcdn.org/wiki.php/Main/Servers

For instance, all the avatars and attachments here could use this technique to offload some of the bandwidth requirement of the TG forum server.

Note that this technique requires access to the web server config files. (I think you can do it in .htaccess, if the right permissions are delegated from the main httpd.conf.)
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Webmasters: Coral cache

We don't have an issue with bandwidth here. We've taken slashdot hits in the past and actually handled them quite well. Keep in mind, we're not hosted by some $29.95 Unlimited Hosting company, we're self hosted on VERY powerful machines with over 13GB/sec of bandwidth sitting behind us. :-)
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

13gb.....holy buckets......i guess it helps that you are a network tech/admin....
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Wait, you guys are SlashDot?! :D
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
          Wait, you guys are SlashDot?! :D
          No, we're not SlashDot.. But we've been SlashDotted before.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X