No announcement yet.

Windows boot problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows boot problem

I upgraded an older PC by installing Win7 on an old SSD and removing it from the original HDD (I thought). Now when I boot I get an error screen presenting two instances of Win7 to choose from. One works and the other doesn't. The boot sequence in the BIOS is correctly set to the SSD, though I don't think that is the problem.

Any idea how to remove all traces of the original installation? I can't find any files that are triggering the confusion.
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

reinstall the old HDD and sanitize it. Then install the SSD and wipe it. Go into the BIOS and see which is being looked at when booting up. If need be, use command line to wipe and format/ partition both drives and then install 7 on it.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

I was really hoping for something simpler...but thanks.

Update - Got this suggestion on HardForum, which worked perfectly:

Go to "boot" tab

That gives you a nice interface to see your boot options and modify without using bcdedit.
      Last edited by Melee; 10-05-2016, 01:07 AM.

First thing you have to do is default the correct install of Win 7, then delete the one you do not want:
        1. Click Start.
        2. Type mscofig in the search box or open Run.
        3. Go to Boot.
        4. Select which Windows version you'd like to boot into directly.
        5. Press Set as Default.
        6. You can delete the "other" version by selecting it and then clicking Delete.
        7. Click Apply.
        8. Click OK.
        9. Install Windows 10 :-)
        Now there may be remnants left in some of your folders in the User folders, but they are harmless and don't take up much space.

Done it before and it is fairly easy and straight forward...

"The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Pretty much what the other guy recommended and it worked like a charm. Thanks

As for Win10, I have it on my main PC - this is the older one that will stay Win7 until it dies.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed