RX480 8gb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX480 8gb

Received my new video card yesterday and have had the worst time with it. Started by breaking my RAID 0 and by the time I got the hard drives sorted out have been unable to run anything but Bejeweled. Even something as bland as WoT will not run and restarts the system. Other games don't recognize the card as DX12 and I'm at my wits end. I've tried every driver and hotfix I can find and nothing has helped. I can use the web browser and TS but unable to play any of my main titles.
    Attached Files
    Forewarned is Forearmed

Did you use a driver wiper? Also, do you have a complete AMD build?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Shout out to troublesome4u who advised a motherboard firmware update that solved my main issue. Looks like I also have a wonky on/off switch to replace as well.
      Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

This morning back to the system shutting down whenever I try and load into WOT. Let's me load into garage then loses power. I can use browser and teamspeak but as soon as I try anything else computer restarts or shuts down completely, any ideas?
        Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Weird, is it just WOT that this happens in or other games? Wild guess but sounds like maybe you're power supply itself or the power supply to the card might be an issue. Have you had any similar problems prior to installation of the new card?

Comment

Sounds like a power supply issue to me as well. I had a similar problem a few years ago. Desktop apps were fine, but as soon as I tried to start any game odd things began to happen. From shutdowns to BSODs. Couldn't find anything wrong. Replaced my supply and never had another issue.

Comment

Makes sense as any load on the new card creates the issue and it's not game specific.
              Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

...and ,no I wasn't having any problems prior to installing the new card.
                Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Bronco, what was your old card and what is your power supply?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Gentlemen, thank you so much for the feedback. I picked up a new PSU and installed took about 6 1/2 minutes and everything works fine.

For the record, I was using an Ultra X3 1000w modular that I really liked - Black Chrome finish - and an Asus R9 280 3gb card that works well enough but the newer games (Gears of War 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Deus Ex) just seemed to need a nudge. Can't complain to much also managed to update the motherboard bios as well so might look to upgrade the cpu in the near future as I now have support for the FX 9*** series chips.
                    Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Watch out for Dez 13th, as AMD will host the "New Horizon" event. We will probably see some Details about ZEN there. Also, some leaks suggest a 8 Core 16 thread Processor with 4,2 GHz for around 500$. Could be interesting!
                      (You would have to switch to the nower socket though)

Comment

LpBronco, Let me know how that 480 works out. I've got the same r9 280 board and it plays BF1 okay, but it has horrible periods of low frame rates when the sh!t hits the fan. I'm looking to upgrade, but I want to stay in the sub $300 price range.

Comment

Originally posted by Bedamichl View Post
                          Watch out for Dez 13th, as AMD will host the "New Horizon" event. We will probably see some Details about ZEN there. Also, some leaks suggest a 8 Core 16 thread Processor with 4,2 GHz for around 500$. Could be interesting!
                          (You would have to switch to the nower socket though)
                          Sounds interesting, but I had not heard that the 4.2Ghz 8 core would be ~$500. I thought it would be in the $300s.

Actually, the Zen and the Vega should be on display on the 13th.

Comment

Personally, I would love to see Vega and Zen - because I'm curious. (Un)fortunately, I am finished with my build already.
                            But I don't think they will give information about Vega yet. On that note: what do you think, will the RX 490 be Vega or a dual chip 480? The leaked benchmarks are promising!

Heres the articel i refered to with the Zen pricing:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu...icing_leaked/1

Also, there will be Intel-like naming - and customer milking - with similar diversion of CPUs into "K" and "non K", the "K" counterpart being highly overclockable and of course more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                              LpBronco, Let me know how that 480 works out. I've got the same r9 280 board and it plays BF1 okay, but it has horrible periods of low frame rates when the sh!t hits the fan. I'm looking to upgrade, but I want to stay in the sub $300 price range.
                              draeh The card and the bios update have made all the difference. Definitely see sharper cleaner video and my High def games really jump.
                              Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X