CentOS, KVM, LVM, Windows Server 2012 R2 and a Bucket Full of Migraines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS, KVM, LVM, Windows Server 2012 R2 and a Bucket Full of Migraines

The subject line is going to be a new book I am probably not actually going to write about a noob and his adventures through Virtualization land!

I am posting this question here, instead of at any forums specific to these things because by looking at the answers on some of those forums, TG is noticeably gentler with the noobs. However, failing to get an answer here, I think I will just link to here instead of having to re-write the story four or more times.

I am having quite a few difficulties trying to setup a server and need your guys' expertise. I know there are some sysadmins out there in TG land so throw me a bone! I've been wracking my brain over this for a couple weeks now and am about to throw in the towel.

I have a CentOS command-line virtualization server but the program I want to use on said server needs a Windows environment. I had to use virt-manager on a Fedora laptop to install the vm with virt-install. Since I have Microsoft Imagine, I've decided to use Windows Server 2012 R2 as the OS for the program and use qemu-kvm to host it. I started with this tutorial (among other tutorials) and after weeks of wracking my brain and tweaking settings, trying to get it to work, I've finally got it to the point where Windows installs fine and I can update it and everything. The only way to get everything working fine was for me to create an LVM on CentOS dedicated to the VM, with sda4 as what I am using for vms (sehdd is what I am using for this particular vm). I couldn't even use .img, qcow2, or any other type of image file for the hard drives.

centosdrives.jpg

Once I get setup, everything installs fine (except for .NET of course). The vm shuts down, restarts everything is fine. The problem is that when I shutdown the vm then restart the CentOS server, it's as if I did not install windows at all. The /sehdd is completely empty and it's as if I didn't even partition or format anything. GONE! All of it! I can repartition, reformat, and reinstall everything, but when I reboot CentOS all is lost! It's like it didn't "save" or something. What's wierd is the rest of the VM settings are fine, I just need to re-everything Windows! I can't never shut off CentOS; I am eventually going to have to reset or shut it down for some reason eventually!

Is there some compatibility issue between Windows and LVM; like do I need to somehow format the LVM as NTFS or something? How would one even go about doing that without losing the LVM? When I try to use parted or something to see the volume filesystem, it says that the filesystem is LVM, so I am afraid if I try to format it to NTFS it will booger up the whole system! I need your help guys! Why does all the work disappear!

I am about at wits end and am just going to format everything and install just Windows and forgoe CentOS and such.

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
    [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
    [support]

Mind if I link this on TG Discord Channel?

edit: Sorry was meant to read :,Hope you don't mind' that I link this on TG Discord Channel

(6..~)Z Z z z....

Comment

What's left in /sehdd? Anything?
      |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by vts View Post
        Mind if I link this on TG Discord Channel?

edit: Sorry was meant to read :,Hope you don't mind' that I link this on TG Discord Channel
        Not at all! Thank you very much!

Originally posted by KeithMann View Post
        What's left in /sehdd? Anything?
        From the perspective of CentOS, even when installing, ls -a produces nothing. I don't know if it just can't read/understand it's contents or if maybe the information is being put somewhere else.

[support]

Comment

What are your virt-install arguments?
          |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

I actually use virt-manager to install from a different laptop. I found it worked better that way. But I don't know how to extrapolate that into the virt-install arguments. But if you give me a few moments, I can take some screenshots to show you how I set it up.

EDIT: Though if you help me to extrapolate them in to virt-install arguments that would make me all the much happier. Being able to copy and paste that into command line would be much faster than navigating through menus every time I screw up the install. lol
            Last edited by ScratchnSniff0; 01-01-2017, 01:06 PM. Reason: Added things and stuff.

[support]

Comment

Here's the screenies. I'd normally crop them, but the ShotWell thing that comes with Fedora absolutely does not want to cooperate:

Screenshot from 2017-01-01 14-21-49.pngScreenshot from 2017-01-01 14-21-35.pngScreenshot from 2017-01-01 14-21-42.pngScreenshot from 2017-01-01 14-21-19.pngScreenshot from 2017-01-01 14-21-55.pngScreenshot from 2017-01-01 14-21-30.pngScreenshot from 2017-01-01 14-21-26.png

[support]

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchnSniff0 View Post
                From the perspective of CentOS, even when installing, ls -a produces nothing. I don't know if it just can't read/understand it's contents or if maybe the information is being put somewhere else.
                Does "ls -l" not work when you are in the that dir? Or use "ls -la" if you think there are hidden files and folders in that dir.

("ls -l" should give you a list of files and other dirs along with permission. "ls -la" should give you the same and include hidden files and dirs.)
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

This is the result:
                  Code:
                  [[email protected] sehdd]$ ls -la
                  total 4
                  drwxr-xr-x.  2 root root    6 Dec 30 20:41 .
                  dr-xr-xr-x. 20 root root 4096 Jan  2 17:44 ..
                  [[email protected] sehdd]$

[support]

Comment

Never mind, I could not figure it out...so I did a base Windows Server install. I really couldn't afford to take any more time out trying to figure out how to make it work. Thank you for all the help though guys! I really appreciate you guys taking a look.

[support]

Comment

So where do you stand now?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Wherever my feet happen to be! :). haha. I am not sure what you might be asking.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

[support]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed