No announcement yet.

Can't get PC to work to save my life...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get PC to work to save my life...

I got back from vacation and found my computer wouldn't boot. Long story, but I'm at the banging my head against the wall stage. Any experts have time to read my saga and offer advice?
    I returned from vacation to find my Win 10 system would not boot. It went to a blue screen that included the error code 0xc000000e. Research led me to...
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Melee or should I say SphincterBoy?

If I understand the thread on hardforum correctly, you can get it to start to boot, but it stops after various points in the processs.

Have you tried a memtest86 image to validate that memory is okay?

What state was it in when you returned home?

Being that it failed while you were away, I'm leaning towards power supply ultimately. I've had several machines that will boot to a point and then seize or bluescreen because of a power supply that couldn't hold up to the load as various peripherals are activated.

Comment

Also this is a long shot without knowing where it fails on the boot process but please try disconnecting as much USB stuff as possible. I've known mobos and Windows to fall out before and the boot process to fail whilst it's identifying USB connections. Bit random but process of elimination and all that.

Comment

Yeah, that was my original name here for BF2 until I was asked by Bommando to change it due to community standards. Go figure, he had a falling out with management here and left to create another community where there appeared to be no standards.

The computer was off while I was away and failed upon the first attempt to boot upon my return. I have not tried memtest86.

However, last night I tried a more methodical approach to ensure I'd tried everything and to make a long story short, found the problem. Whenever the newest SSD (Samsung 850 less than two years old) is attached it fails immediately. So, with just the original SSD attached I tried booting from the USB with Win10 ISO and I was successful. The OS is loaded and running normally. Neither this system nor my older system can read or initialize the other SSD. It appears it is corrupted to some extent. Which I find odd considering it only held my games which functioned perfectly fine. I guess I'm SSD shopping now.
        |TG|Melee

Comment

Glad to here you got it fixed.

Comment

That was a good find... very odd that the SSD would do that. Always thought those guys were pretty reliable.

Comment

Yeah, me too. I've tried multiple computers and various programs, but nothing works. And with it removed from the system everything else is running smoothly.
              |TG|Melee

Comment

In the unlikely case you have not tried this yet, see if the SATA port is busted. Try your 'bad' SSD in a different port. Alternatively, get one of them SATA to USB gizmos and try the 'bad' SSD that way. I would NOT plug the good SSD into the potentially bad SATA port...

Comment

Melee
                  Something to consider if you do not have a usb to sata thingy. If you have an external usb HDD, open it if it has a bunch of screws holding it together. The enclosure is just a tidy container with a laptop drive and usb converter.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

If you have a Samsung 850 EVO, you need to update it's firmware (if you can access it as a external attached drive on another system) with Samsung's Magician utility. One of the older update patches was faulty and would lead to the drive dropping out (timeout) and being inaccessible by a system (this was from a few months ago and I remember reading about the need to patch since I also have a 850 EVO).

If you can't, then you need to contact Samsung for a replacement that hopefully has a more recent patch.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

RMA'd and the replacement is now installed and firmware up to date.
                      |TG|Melee

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...