WinXP: swapfile on another partition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP: swapfile on another partition?

Is it possible to have my system's swap file on my second disk? If so, where do I go to do that?

I thought it was possible, and I just installed a second disk, with a partition dedicated for my system's swap, but now I can't find how to change Windows' swapfile location.

Thanks much.

Wyzcrak
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance>Settings>Advance d>Change

If you managed to understand my drivel then you should be at a screen with your pagefile listed along with your drives and the pagefiles on them. Select your new drive and set system managed if you're lazy and click set, then select the old drive and select no paging file and click set. You'll probably get a warning but don't worry too much about it. You have to restart for it to take effect.

This assumes windows XP :)

Comment

I found it, and came back here to read what you typed. It's exactly as I did (which is comforting). :)

Well, with one exception. I set the minimum size and maximum size of the swapfile manually, as I've read that the growing and shrinking of the file (or something like that) can slow performance. I set the minimum to 900MB and the maximum to 901MB.

Is it really best to allow Windows to manage it? If not, is there a wiser setup than mine?

Thanks very much for the help.

Wyzcrak

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

It is better to set it yourself manually but I was too lazy to try and explain what size you should set it at. In windows XP the performance difference is quite small as it automatically creates a good minimum value for the swap file. Windows 9X had the min at 0 so when the system wasn't being stressed the swapfile had to be resized when it changed to being stresed. Overall assuming the minimum is a sensible amount the swapfile modifications only have a slight effect on performance. If you're really interested in improving performance try www.tweakxp.com it has some fairly useful tips.

Hope that kinda explains it :)

Comment

do what i did, get another stick of ram, turn off page to file and force windows to be stored in your ram.

Still looking for stuff to fill my 1.5 gigs of ram.

Comment

Although some say to keep your paging file no matter how much ram you have. There are programs that require a paging file and will crash if there isn't one. It's rare that you'll encounter a program like that though.

If you use your computer a while after setting the paging file it will most likely grow to the required size. Then you can do a full system defrag that does the paging file too. Your performance will be good if the paging file is not fragmented.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I use Diskeeper to defrag all of my volumes every night from 0400 to 0800. It really has made a substantial difference in long-term performance of my box. This is the first computer I've ever run this software on, and it's the first system I've ever owned that didn't slow with age.

Wyzcrak

Comment

I use Diskeeper as well. I really love that program. The defrags are about five minutes when you do it every day.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X