Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I overclock?

AMD Athlon 64 2800

Just wondering the gains and risks of overclocking, and possibly how to do it

Thanks in advance
    veh-JEET
    No, it doesn't mean anything...yet

Re: Should I overclock?

My advice is if you never over clock nothing before donít take the risk. The risk is the heat problems make sure you have an after market fan for your CPU. CPU over clock is in the bios setting you mess with. The link below will give you an idea how to do it.

http://www.tweak3d.net/
    [TG-5th JTF] LuNiSiCx
    5th Joint Task Force

[squadl]
    [ma-c1][ma-c2]

Comment

Personally I wouldn't going to experiment with overclocking on a new computer. I would wait till i have a computer with some miles on it for a first attempt. That's why i'm waiting a while till i give it a try.

---

Comment

I guess I'll just wait then. It can run BF2 on medium/low settings fine.
        veh-JEET

Comment

Athlon 64 2800+ = Newcastle core, 130nm, 1.8 GHz, 512KB cache.

What's your motherboard, your memory, and your power supply?
          |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Overclocking shortens the life of whatever you are trying to overclock, and can be dangerous heat-wise. If you are going to attempt it, be sure you have temp montioring programs open that tell you what the temperature of each thing is. Then ever so slightly go up in speed and power and try out the game. WARNING: If it seems stable when you are on your desktop, things get hairy when you start putting a load on the CPU and card. Higher OC=Higher chance of crash.

Comment

ok guys, you've scared me out of trying it

I would never want to risk ruining something that already works fine. If I was about to trash it, then maybe.

thanks for the tips, though
              veh-JEET

Comment

CPU is'nt the only thing you can OC. You could also overclock your video card, which I find to be pretty easy to do. If you have an ATI card use the Riva tool if you have nvidia use Coolbits. Overclocking does lower your life span, if you dont know what you are doing, but for the most part geeks like myself will try to fry our components to have a reason to upgrade. So if you lower your life span by 25%-35% more than likely technology has passed you by and you are ready for an upgrade. All I am trying to say is that overclocking can be done in a safe manner. It is our lack of knowledge (or stupidity) that makes it dangerous.

AMD 3800x2 OCed to 2.55
                (2) 7800gts OCed to 450/1.25
                (2) 36g Raptors running in raid
                300g hd
                2g ram 400mhz
                X-FI soundcard

Comment

Welcome to our newest one post SM, FrowG! Please read the rules and announcments for the games you play and i hope you enjoy our forums :).

Comment

Gracias!!!

Comment

Im with FrowG turn it up!!! Then upgrade or just have lots of spare parts like i do. When im not gaming im on ebay buying parts lol. As of right know im on my laptop cause im up grading my processor. It didnt last long, going with a water cooler this time lol.

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
                        Overclocking shortens the life of whatever you are trying to overclock, and can be dangerous heat-wise. If you are going to attempt it, be sure you have temp montioring programs open that tell you what the temperature of each thing is. Then ever so slightly go up in speed and power and try out the game. WARNING: If it seems stable when you are on your desktop, things get hairy when you start putting a load on the CPU and card. Higher OC=Higher chance of crash.
                        not totaly true, if it was true, then a FX57 would only have 1 year life, while a FX51 would have 10 years life, because AMD have increased the clock speed (overclocked).

See all cpu's are the same (well the ones based on the same core and core rev), overclocking its just setting a cpu to a different speed. As long as you are not overvolting or overheating, setting to a higher speed is just like buying a A64 3200 or something. Most A64's depending on the age of this chip will be able to do 2100mhz at least. The very first chips did about 2200mhz fine, and thats the older 1mb clawhammer chips.

Newcastles have 512kb cache, and there for overclocked better. Newcastles could normaly do 2400mhz with ease, with maybe alittle overvolting. But AMD had to start selling "slower" chips to please people with less money, so they "underclocked" cores to make 1800mhz and 2000mhz cpu's....

The only thing that shorterns CPu's life is using too much voltage, or not cooling them properly.

Ie:

if you overclock just 100mhz but overvolt by 30% and your overheating at 60c, the cpu will die in probably less than 2 years

But if you overclock 400mhz more, but keep the volts at reasonable levels (+10%), and keep the temps nice and low like 45c, then it will last at least 10years.

to be fair, most cpu's live for 20 years... i highly doubt he will be using his pc in 20 years. And, a standard dell/hp probably runs at higher temperatures than a overclockers pc with a propper heatsink and fan, so in theory the overclockers pc might last longer.......

and a properly overclocked CPU fully tested with prime95, OCCT and S&M burn will be just as stable as a standard pc....
                        From Adam Webb

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X