AMD Ryzen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen

So it's that time of year, new product announcements. In this case, it's AMD's Ryzen. I'm rather surprised no one has started a thread to discuss/chat/talk about the chips, the platform, and all the hardware goodness that came out.

For those not in the know...these are AMD's latest generation of processors and are meant as a competing line of chips to Intel's current offerings.

Here are some choice reviews:
    Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170/...1700x-and-1700
    Ars Technica: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...-ryzen-review/
    Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-cpu,4951.html
    Guru 3D: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages...-review,1.html
    Gamer's Nexus: http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews...fps-benchmarks

Gamer's Nexus also has a pretty good explanation for the differences in various reviews: http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/2...ferences-again

I for one have been waiting for a while for these chips to come out. Currently the Ryzen 7 chips are out with the Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 3 chips coming out later this year. The Ryzen 7 chips are great for multitasking, but a little behind for gaming. Bear in mind this is a new piece of hardware with no optimizations in software for these yet. So gaming performance will get better as time goes on (same goes for multitasking).

I will be building a Ryzen 7 1700 rig shortly here. I have all the parts I need except for the motherboard. I will snap pretty pictures and post them up for people to oogle over.

Any of you guys planning on building a Ryzen rig?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Yes.

I've been a long time Intel fan/user, but the blender and AV encode benchmarks have me sold. My next rig will be a Ryzen 7 1800 rig.

I'm not worried about the game support as that will get sorted out with time. There is nothing inherently wrong with the architecture itself. There just aren't any architecture specific optimizations like there are for Intel and the older AMD FX processors.

Comment

Did you see the blender encode time on the 1800X vs the 8350? Just amazing.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've seen several hand-on reviews. I am very impressed with this architecture. Its numbers can only go up more as AMD works to deliver micro-code improvements and optimizations.

Comment

Makes me feel like selling my two desktops.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Yaaay! I love to see AMD back in the fray! Real competition is good for US.
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Finally got my motherboard in today. Just need to clean up the desk, rip out some parts from my current rig, and I'll be ready to build the new Ryzen rig. So excited! :D
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Acreo Aeneas Guru3D accidentally published this article about Ryzen 5 today then deleted - might be worth having a look also:

UTHepzS.jpg
                Last edited by Jeepo; 03-15-2017, 06:27 AM. Reason: Edited due to trash forums not working well with links

Comment

I want to share a 1800X and 1700 review with you guys. AdoredTV is my favorite tech youtuber. It's more than the usual "I ran some ingame benchmarks, put the numbers in an excel spreadsheet and get all hyped" (yes, the accent might play a role too). Give it a try for a dispassionate and objective review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0fgy4rKWhk

Comment

The sad thing is, there are a lot of people that rave about the i7 series as if it was sliced bread when it makes 5 - 7 more frames. The same behavior happens in the GPU market.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                      Acreo Aeneas Guru3D accidentally published this article about Ryzen 5 today then deleted - might be worth having a look also:

UTHepzS.jpg
                      I was browsing through the "leaks" of the Ryzen 5 today at work. The pricing is a bit lower than what was leaked a few months ago, but overall seems to be quite accurate. The 1500X was what I was originally aiming for, but considering how popular the Ryzen 7 chips were/are still, I ended up just buying the 1700 instead.

So far with my limited testing right now, I am quite happy with my new Ryzen rig! :D Compared to my old i7-3770k + GTX 670 setup, this new Ryzen 7 1700 + RX480 blows it away. I can play Wildlands @ 1920 x 1200 with high/very high settings and still get 55-80 fps. With The Division on very high, I'm getting 57-90 fps. On my old rig, I was getting 23-57 fps in Wildlands with low/off settings and 18-38 fps with The Division (same settings).

I wish I could speak for multithreaded performance but I don't have anything worthwhile to test that at the moment. Maybe Battlefield 1? That'll have to wait until the weekend.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

The more you talk, the more I want to build a new rig.

Comment

Well... I better start saving my pennies faster.

Had a power surge hit the house a few days ago. Afterwards, my 7 year old I7 rig would not boot with the same clock settings I've been running for that 7 years. I had to back the clock rates all the way down such that the I7 is running at 1.8GHz (instead of 3.8) and the DDR3 is running at 800MHz (instead of 2100). Borrowed a brand new power supply from work as a test, but the problems persist. I would have to guess that some capacitors on the motherboard have finally weakened to the point that they are not functioning properly and the increased noise of higher clock rates is wreaking havoc. Its probably only a matter of time before it won't even operate at this level.

So Acreo Aeneas how is your Ryzen build going?
                          ​​​​​​​

Comment

draeh

Last weekend, he was suffering from shutdowns. I think he is or was suffering from the BIOS blues. The companies are finally releasing more stable BIOS to allow RAM to run at higher speeds, stable overclocking, and better performance.

Also, download the Intel CPU Diagnostic Utility to see if your CPU was damaged. There should be tools out there to test the RAM as well. If those two check out, then why don't you part them out on Ebay.

As a side note, I am thinking of getting an R5 1600X since I don't think I will use the extra 4 threads and this will be a hold out for probably 2 generations of Ryzens.

Comment

BeSiege82

Whatever the damage, whether it is the motherboard, memory, or cpu, its probably not worth putting money into this rig. In my opinion, that money is better saved for a new rig.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X