Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Problems x800XL 256

Hello all.
    Im having a little problem with my video card. My VPU crashes randomly since the last patch/SF ,it just freezes, or crashes to the ATI crash recovery. (a great way to ruin a game.) Any one else having a similar prob or have any ideas?

Abit AV8
    2 gig kingston PC 3200
    AMD 64 2800
    ATI x800XL 256
    Sarcoma.

Re: Video Problems x800XL 256

I have an Nvidia card, but I experienced something similar where my screen would freeze up and become beautifully pixelated and I had no recourse but to reboot. I had a hunch it was due to the weak stock fan on the card, so I bought one of those PCI slot fans that mates to a graphics card and it solved my problem. You might try this....the Antec one I bought at Staples was only $10. If I remember correctly, the problem did become worse after the 1.12 patch, as I bought that PCI fan while at Staples for black friday.

Now about the only time BF2 crashes is when I try to use Teamspeak Overlay.

The only other thing I can suggest is find out the chipset manufacturer for your motherboard and make sure they play well with ATI cards. This tends to be a problem more with Intel than AMD, as Intel actually builds motherboards and therefore makes it difficult for other manufacturers to make mobos that are glitch free when playing with their processors. Since AMD doesn't manufacture motherboards, they encourage other manufacturers to build glitch-free boards for their processors, if that makes sense. So my guess is it's more a heat issue than this, but research it nevertheless.

Comment

Your not alone - ATI's latest drivers have had some problems with quite a few games - I had to revert back to 5.10's as I was experiencing crashes during EQ2 (In fact I had the same problem as you).

My advise would be to uninstall your latest drivers and test a few games out with previous versions.

Just out of curiosity, What drivers are you running & is it only one game causing the problem?
      [defense]

Comment

I am using the catalyst 5.12 driver and BF2 is the only game ive had any problems with :HL2, civ3, Quake4, AM all run fine.
        Im also running an Artic cooler on my video card so im thinking heat is not the problem. ill try another version of the driver and see what happens.
        thanks guys
        Sarcoma.

Comment

please let us know if you figure it out. I think a lot of people who are using ATI are all having issues.
          sigpic

Comment

I've got 17 ATI cards from the 9700 up to current.. no problems across the board - No pun intended.

Also try Omega Drivers instead of the direct ATI driver. They are free and generally help eeek a little extra out. I've also found them very stable considering they are free.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/
            sigpic

Comment

WOW P8riot...

I have installed Omega drivers and all seems well. Hope this is the fix I have been looking for. Im am 2 full games into the nite and not a single problem.
              thaks for the advice.

Sarcoma
              Sarcoma.

Comment

A. Don't OC an x800
                B. New 5.12 drivers suck, i almost only play BF2 and since it won't start on them i rolled it back.
                Those may fix ur prob.

Note: Mine is an x850 xt pe
                The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
                #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
                83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

I have just tried those Omega drivers and they are pretty good, always nice to have an alternative.
                  [defense]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X