Anybody use a VPN?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody use a VPN?

Anybody use a VPN? I saw this article below and wondered if anyone has experience with them?

https://news.vice.com/story/how-to-p...viders-sell-it
    "Press the red shiny button"~Vortex
    "I may give out, but I'll never give in." ~ Lou Bond "To the Establishment"

I don't have any experience with the short list in that article. I do know Opera includes a VPN service built into their browser. That's always an option if you don't have any trust in other VPN services. I've used Opera's for a period and while I didn't notice any slowdowns, I did notice some sites would refuse to load which meant it would not work for me.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well, it may not make a difference.
      https://www.wired.com/2017/03/vpns-w...CNDID=42884345

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        I don't have any experience with the short list in that article. I do know Opera includes a VPN service built into their browser. That's always an option if you don't have any trust in other VPN services. I've used Opera's for a period and while I didn't notice any slowdowns, I did notice some sites would refuse to load which meant it would not work for me.
        That Opera version that appears like a tablet layout looks interesting.

Comment

tunnel bear is one I have used.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by AbRocinante View Post
            Well, it may not make a difference.
            https://www.wired.com/2017/03/vpns-w...CNDID=42884345
            A bit of a misleading / click-bait title (as regards VPNs at least). I had to go have a read to see why they claim VPNs won't save your privacy. Their only reason? That you need to trust your VPN provider. Well no S, Sherlock!

I am not making excuses for Trump nor any of the Rs that supported this garbage, however I will state that telecom companies have ALWAYS cooperated in giving the government whatever the hell they want, and usually without even questioning it nor resisting in any way. And many other reasons. Historically they have behaved terribly. I could go on and on but I will spare you. But suffice it to say they are the scum of the Earth. Having said that...

I don't go online without being on a VPN (or Tor). I am TG's resident tin foil hat, so let me give you the lowdown. You do have to be careful which provider you pick. A lot of misleading info out there, and different theories (US vs non US based, etc.). In the end I chose to go with PIA (even though US based) for a few reasons. Their legal justification / explanation of being US based satisfied me, personally (in short, there is no legal requirement to keep logs, therefore they do not keep them, and therefore there is nothing to "hand over"). They have a pretty extensive infrastructure (lots of gateways, in US and several foreign countries). And you can pay them with gift cards from many stores. Go buy your gift card locally for cash (if you are truly paranoid, wear a disguize, lol) then redeem online to pay for your service. I think a $50 Walmart gift card redeems for a little over a year of VPN service. I have been very happy, it's plenty fast, they have no problem with torrents, and I have not experienced any service interruptions. I've been using them for over a year now.

Yes some sites block VPNs. Tor is even worse than a VPN in that regard. But then I just go through any of the free online proxies (I like newIPnow) for my final hop to the site in question. Or just find another site to visit (it's a big Internet). Cloudflare is pretty bad, they block Tor and a lot of sites use Cloudflare, supposedly for DDoS protection. It's something they need to address, but I'm not holding my breath. Because I believe they are part of the conspiracy of course. Wink wink. lol

Make sure you route your DNS queries through your VPN also, as that's another place you can leak info. PIA client on Windows does this automatically (or it's an option, I don't recall now, been a while since I set it up).

There is more to learn of course, but one step at a time. I commend you for taking a good first step. And I'm happy to help you (or anyone else here) who is interested in increasing their and/or their family's online security and privacy in these alarming Orwellian times.

I very strongly agree with Eben Moglen's statement that " free software is a fundamental requirement for a democratic and free society in which we are surrounded by and dependent upon technical devices." In fact I would include privacy and net neutrality (all closely related topics) to that. All are fundamental requirements in a democratic and free society. And like I said I am more than happy to help any interested party achieve that, for themselves, as well as their families, etc... I consider it my civic duty.
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Randy_Shughart_ClwFL

"I am TG's resident tin foil hat, so let me give you the lowdown."

While I disagree with a lot of the conclusions you reach, I gotta say, nut-job or not, you're as much a part of TG as your tin foil hat =)

We agree on your point on communications companies and I suspect we agree on Net Neutrality if we discussed it.

The public is being robbed and the corporations are betting on their ignorance towards the state of the internet and how it will look if Net Neutrality is NOT defended.

I mean it's Completely unethical and I will debate with anyone who says "if you dont agree with it, then dont use the internet."

Access to information should be a damn utility if you ask me.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I've been keeping up on this thread and I just found out that the makers of ProtonMail is going to release their own VPN solution on the 20th. The main selling point of their e-mail system is that they are based in Switzerland so that they are not subject to US or Euro laws. I assume the VPN is going to be the same. [ProtonVPN Link]

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
                [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
                [support]

Comment

They've just released and here are the features of their VPN [ProtonVPN Link]

"Quando omni flunkus moritati" -Red Green Show
                  [Link to my Youtube!] [Link to my Twitch!]
                  [support]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse