Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to upgrade my computer, need help!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to upgrade my computer, need help!!

So I finally got a new graphics card coming in the mail next week. At some point I need to get more or better RAM for my computer, a 1 TB SSD hard drive. I will more than likely keep my computer and just upgrade everything I can.

Here is the specs of my computer.
    - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
    - Dell Alienware Aurora R4 ALX Tower
    - Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80GHz Bloomfield 45nm Technology
    - 9.00GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz
    - Dell Alienware Aurora ALX Intel X58 Socket LGA1366 Desktop System Motherboard
    - Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti
    - 223GB KINGSTON SV300S37A240G ATA Device (SATA-2 (SSD)) (Windows is installed here)
    - 931GB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-75J7B0 ATA Device (SATA )
    - 465GB Western Digital WD My Passport 0748 USB Device (USB ) (backup hard drive)
    - PLDS DVD+-RW DH-24AAS ATA Device
    - DELL ST2210 ([email protected])
    - Generic Non-PnP Monitor ([email protected])
    - Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
    - M65 Pro RGB Mouse
    - Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro II Headphones
    - Saitek X52 Flight Control System HOTAS

Card I just purchased is a EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 6GB GDDR5 (Here is the link to the card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...296CGZZAB&th=1 )

Oh, everything in the computer except for the graphics card & ssd are at least 10 years old just about. I got the computer pretty much when I got out of the Navy in 2009.

I can send you my 6-core Xeon X5650 which is designed for that socket. Also, this would be free of charge.

If I recall, people figured out that you could get 8Gb sticks into the triple channel motherboards, so you might be able to get a kit to get you to 24Gbs.

You might want to invest in an SSD. I know things are a little tight for you at times, but you can get a 512Gb Sata III SSD for around $100 if you watch the sales.

Comment

Is this your motherboard? http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-4vwf2-...f2ms7591m.aspx

if so:
      Supported Memory:
      Up to 24GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333Mhz - 6 DIMMS
      Up to 12GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600Mhz - 6 DIMMS
      Up to 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1866Mhz - 3 DIMMS
      6 x 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM Slots

Im assuming your current memory is 1333mhz effective speed (~668mhz x2) you may not see much benifit upgrading your ram amount in all honesty since you already have 9GB, it all depends what you will be using it for, if mostly gaming, then it really depends on the title and how much you have running in the background. (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnuNs_Nu46Q ).

Unfortunatly though, you will find that the CPU becomes your bottleneck, if you can find a decent aftermarket cooler, enough to push your current CPU to 4Ghz you would effectivly have it preforming on par with a stock (3.4Ghz) speed i7 2600k (4 core with HT) ( https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2...ks-2017/page-3 ) .
      As a kind of refrence, I was using a i5 2500K (4 core without HT) clocked @ 4.5Ghz paired with 16GB 1600mhz ram and a GTX 970 untill about 2 years ago and I was starting to feel my CPU bottleneck on certain titles back then. Still very usable and a decent enough gaming experience though, I was forced to upgrade due to component failure (a story for another time) and would have used it for longer if I hadnt been.

Adding BeSiege's Xeon X5650 will get you a slight bump in performance at stock speeds (more so in multicore applications that made use of the extra cores) either way you would be needing to overclock. A quote from one forum "If you overclock, which most people do with these xeons, you need to balance the multi with bclk. A 5650 at 210blk puts it at 4.2ghz on all 6 cores, perfect. With the 5670 you will have to lower the bclk as the multiplier is much higher and perhaps even turn off turbo since it would constantly try and hit over 5ghz on two cores.

X5650 is the best value if you plan on overclocking it."
      https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...x5650.2406779/

So with some tweaking and the right cooler, it might well be worth it if you really are stuck with your system.
      It matters not what letters or numbers come before my name, I'll always be 1stMIP.

sigpic

"It is all about being a teamplayer. Give a kitchen sink to a teamplayer and he'll find a way to support his squad with it."
      - John_CANavar (Marshall & Founder of the 1st Mechanized Infantry Platoon)

Comment

I do have a WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s on my amazon list for $134.00 that I'm thinking of buying soon.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X