sound issues 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sound issues 2

My onboard sound died for some reason, so I switched to a PCS soundblaster. Now that's died too. Unlike my onboard, the soundblaster still shows up in control panel > sounds and multimedia. Device manager reports that the card is working properly. Despite this, there's no sound coming out of my speakers.

I've tested the speakers, and they're not the issue.

Yesterday I formatted my drive and reinstalled win2k. The soundcard was detected correctly, and the drivers installed fine. The problem hasn't been resolved.

Any ideas?
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Re: sound issues 2

xp
    xp
    xp
    xp
    xp
    xp
    xp

o sorry i was just trying out the font size feature......have you moved the card to a different PCI slot....or possibly try a different sound card...just to make sure
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
      xp
      lol

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
      have you moved the card to a different PCI slot....or possibly try a different sound card...just to make sure
      I don't have another soundcard to try, but yes I've tried moving it to a different slot. I've also gone into the BIOS and disabled the onboard sound (although it's never mattered previously).

Edit : According to device manager, my soundcard is using IRQ 20. That really doesn't sound right to me, but for some reason I can't change the resource settings for this device.
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Virus? Unless you somehow overheated it doing something.

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
          Virus? Unless you somehow overheated it doing something.
          A virus on a fresh install isn't likely, especially as my antivirus is one of the first things I install and patch. If the card was dead, surely device manager wouldn't detect it and install the drivers?
          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Oh ya, you reinstalled....it could still detect it if only a minor thing was burnt out. Try taking it out and inspecting for any damage, but it might have just died :(.

Comment

Turn up the volume?

Sometimes, when I think something like that is up, I buy a cheap one at Best Buy or something, swap them, and if it isn't the problem - I take it back.. they are no hassles about that.. so far. If it is the problem, I still take it ba

An incorrect IRQ will have different symptoms.

Download and install new drivers?

Made sure the 'Mute' checkbox was unchecked?
              sigpic

Comment

It might be that the output jack has been damaged. Is there a rear channel? If so, you should try plugging your speakers into that and see if you can hear anything.

note: not all applications take advantage of the rear channel, so you might have to try a few.
                Steam Community: | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X