Specs and Possible Upgrades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specs and Possible Upgrades

I got my Dell PC from my parents for all in my house to use ( I am only in grade 10) last spring. It is a Dell 4700 and specs are:

ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory
    512 MB RAM
    80 GB HD
    P4 /w HT 2.8Ghz
    Default Sound Card
    15" Monitor

They really aren't that great, and I hope to upgrade the video card and RAM eventually - either that or possibly buy a next gen console. I currently play BF2 on Low settings, and although it's not that great to look at, it gets me by, and I almost never lag on the TG servers. Please post input something like good budget upgrades that would probably allow me to run the next - gen PC games that will come out 2006. Thanks.
    Roses are red, Violets are blue. In Soviet Russia, Poem writes you!

Re: Specs and Possible Upgrades

Well definitely up the ram. GPU depends on how much you want to spend...

also AGP or PCI-Express?
    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

hows the sound card working.....just for a nice boost start with your sound card...then work your way up....Video card you could jump to a Nv 6600GT

you wont have to spend much to get that machine nice and shiney
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Uh, no, don't start with the sound card. Buy half a gig of RAM, then I'd go to a 6600 or 6800.

Comment

What is a good manufacturer for nvidia? Also, is it best to get it online and install it myself, or buy it from a local store? I have never assembled computers before.
          Roses are red, Violets are blue. In Soviet Russia, Poem writes you!

Comment

My first choice would be RAM. You'll notice an extra gig or half gig in just about everything you do on the computer. You wouldn't be able to take advantage of a new video card without the RAM so you'd just be wanting that right away anyways. I believe the 4700 has a 16X PCIe slot.

Installing computer parts is pretty simple these days - you'll pop open the side of the case and be overwhelmed at first, but once you start to lookin for where something will go it'll become pretty obvious. RAM is "keyed" so it can only go in one way and "clicks" in when it is secure.

Start doings parts and pieces right now, then after you've done a couple upgrades you'll feel comfortable enough to assemble the entire computer.. Hop right in.. it's pretty straightforward and addicting :)

Oh, yea, BFG is pretty well liked for their nVidia cards. I know I wouldn't buy a PNY..
            Battlefield Admin() ()
            [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
            [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
            | for | |

Comment

If he is on a PCIe board then this would be my line of thinking:

A: I want to spend around $100. Your primary concern would be the ability to play all 06 games but you realize at this price range you may have to settle for low settings/res of some of these big 06 games. For this case, get a 6600GT.

B: I want to spend around $200. A 6800GS would be ideal in this price range and will probably allow you to play most 06 games at medium to high settings at a decent res. (get the XFX is you go this route...the default clocks are a lot higher than the evga)

C: I want a fantastic card and am willing to spend over $300 to obtain it. For this case I would get a 7800GT. Except for maybe UT2007 this card should allow you to play every 06 game at high settings at a nice resolution.

Again note this assumes you are on a PCIexpress board.
              |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I would go with a new video card right off the bat. That video card is a serious bottleneck on your system, even with only 512MB ram. If you can do both, I would highly suggest another 512MB of ram though.

If you are on AGP, hit up ebay for a used ATI 9700 or 9800 for under $100. If you are PCI-E, then look at a 6600GT or similar.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X