Harddrive problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harddrive problem

Well I think recently my computer's harddrive decided to kill its self. That or a virus but I do not think it is that as I scanned for one when the computer started to give me problems and I found none.

Anyways a few days ago my computer started to run slow I thought it was a processor or ram problem or something like that. Windows took longer to boot up, programs took longer to load up, ect. But it was weird, one example is with BF2. The map would load at average speed or around there but the verifying client data part took forever (which is supposedly hardrive intensive). But once I got in the game, the game ran fairly normally.

This led me to believe it was a harddrive problem.

Then today when I booted up I got a blue screen not like blue screen of death, but like a windows blue screen. That said there were errors or some sort, and that it was going to try to get fix problems on the disk.

It had numerous problems trying to read some files, and tried to clear out some. But eventually after all this windows would start up. Just run very very slow. But now windows will not even start up. In safe mode, or any mode. It just flashes some blue screen that says something about an error reading a file and then something about dumping physical memory. Then resets. I could not really read the screen fully as the computer resets pretty quickly.

Anyway does this sound like a dead hard drive, or a virus? I have had the computer like 2.5 years now and use it fairly often. Is there anyway to recover the information on the harddrive?

Also if I need to get a new harddrive which is the best to get? I had a 120gig western digital last, so something around there should be fine.

Re: Harddrive problem

Originally posted by RedTalon
    Then today when I booted up I got a blue screen not like blue screen of death, but like a windows blue screen. That said there were errors or some sort, and that it was going to try to get fix problems on the disk.
    I'm not much help but I can tell ya that is the windows utility chkdsk your describing.
    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Re: Harddrive problem

Try booting up with your XP CD and run the Repair option (not Recovery Console, REPAIR).
      The only catch is you have to boot up with the same service-pack level CD as what is on the machine. If your XP is at service pack 2, you'll need to get a boot CD that is also at SP2.
      If the repair option is successful, you probably won't lose any more data than may already be lost because of the disk problems.
      Failing that, a reformat/reinstall may be in your future.

I had a similar problem, and the system stopped booting up. The Repair option managed to get me fixed up (a part of the system registry was damaged, which resulted in the inability to boot). After I got up and running again, I purchased another internal hard drive and used Acronis Trueimage to clone the original hard drive to the new one. I switched the master/slave settings around and began using the new hard drive exclusively.

After reformatting the older drive, I have had any more problems with it so I use it as a backup now.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X