Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video card upgrade: Anyone have these cards?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video card upgrade: Anyone have these cards?

So right now I'm running a Radeon 9700 Pro AGP card, and after about 4 years now I'm going to upgrade. Problem is, to what? Back about 8 months ago I built my new PC and got an AGP motherboard because I didn't have the money to also buy a new video card (PCIx). I could just buy a new mobo with PCIx, but I want to avoid that hassle, so I'm looking for a good AGP card that won't break the bank.

I was looking to buy a Radeon X800XL from newegg, but I went to order yesterday and they were out of stock. Now the item doesn't even show up on the list, so I'm assuming they're discontinuing it.

My options now seem pretty limited, so I'm wondering if anyone has a Radeon X850 Pro AGP, and how does it do? I'd consider the XT version, but I'd like to save $130 if possible.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Video card upgrade: Anyone have these cards?

Are nVidia cards out of the question? ... and approx. what are you looking to spend?
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty much ATI brand loyal, though as time goes by and the money burns a hole in my pocket, I may switch :). I stay with ATI for the most part because I'm familiar with them and understand the specs on the cards better than nVidia.

I'm trying to cap myself at around $300 or a tad over, which is generally what I spend every time I buy a new video card. Not top of the line stuff, but just a step or two down.

Don't get me wrong; I have no problems video-wise with the card I have now. Problem is though, XP has a conflict with it and refuses to install (I've eliminated virtually every possible issue except for the graphics card). I don't mind running on Win2k, but games are starting to become XP exclusive, and I want to avoid that problem.
      [squadl]

Comment

X850 XT AGP for $250 after rebate...

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...duct_id=217999
        |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Wow... Even if I didn't do the rebate, it's still around $300. Best price I've seen yet. You, sir, rock.

I've never even heard of them. I assume they're reliable, else you wouldn't have posted, but what are you experiences with them Mantis?
          [squadl]

Comment

MicroCenter is fine. We have an actual store here in K.C. It's basically a Best Buy expect EVERYTHING is computer-related. I've bought plenty of hardware from them. Mostly individual fans, etc. because they carry lots of mod items.

Comment

I've never used them but have never really heard anything in deal threads involving them that would worry me. They have 19 B&M stores as well so its not like they are some small online site. Reseller rating is just alright.
              |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Heya.. I'd recommend bumping to the X850 series.. Pro or XT instead of the X800XL. I have all of those here and the X850 series out performs everything without a hitch.. in fact, in some cases the X850XT hit a wall because it out performed the CPU's capabilities. The Asus editions have been the most solid.. I've had to return all of the 'Sapphire' flavors that I had because of various instabilites - not to say they haven't ironed out any early on issues they may have been having.
                sigpic

Comment

I've been thinkning about upgrading soon too - the X850 XT in fact. This article from The Inquirer may be useful:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28135

I have a 2600+ Athlon with 1.5 gigs of memory running at 333 mhz. I hope that the processor won't be a bottleneck, but the $250 price of this card is pretty hard to pass up.
                  Beatnik

Comment

Just pulled the trigger on that. Thanks for the linkage. Goodbye inconsistent play. :)

FYI - If you have an apartment # in your address and order it, leave it out of the billing info but include it in the shipping info. Their db is screwed up and won't accept apartment number info. I ended up having to call it in.
                    Beatnik

Comment

Ive got a X800xl and im hapy with it, bit id go with the 850xt 256 if i was gonna buy today. Will last you a few years (I hope)

Sarcoma
                      Sarcoma.

Comment

Many magazines i read had an AGP vid card category in their "lists" of what to buy in terms of diff parts (i.e vid card, proc, mobo, case, ect.). Quite a few have listed the 6800 UT as the best AGP card. It's good tto note that at this time almost all have retired their AGP categories; I highly suggest you get a PCIE board because you will have to eventually in light of current PC trends. If that is the case, the nVidia 7800 (gt, gtx, gtx ko [one maker only]) and the very new ATi x1800 (highest stock clockspeed ever on vid card) are excellent choices. Also, SLI and Crossfire dual card solutions are a hot trend in the graphics market, buying a mobo enabled to handle them is more exspensive, but also advisable.
                        The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
                        #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
                        83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

I have an X800XL as well ... It was a big jump from my ATI 9800 ... :)
                          |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
                          [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

Guess what....x850XT is dropping another $50 at Microcenter starting Jan 1st. Not sure if its in store only though. See for yourself...

http://photobucket.com/practice.php?id=qsec

*taken from HF
                            |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

if u can get the x800xl then thats great i have an x800 GTO my self and am a ATI supporter.I think u should give the 6800 GS a look... great card Pixel shader 3.0 support and it about the same speed as the 6800GT u can get it for a bit cheaper the the x800xl i think under $200.im not quite sure if there an AGP version yet but i hear its was suppost to come out on dec the 8 if not maybe with in the next 2 months? Best bang for ur buck man well from my point of view.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...ws/evga6800gs/

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
                              Delta MICS
                              Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse