Refurbished vid cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refurbished vid cards

Has anyone ever bought a refurbished video card from newegg? They have nvidea Leadtek 6800gt's for $199.00 and I'm considering getting one. Anybody have any advice or experience with refurbished video cards. Thanks
    sigpic

Re: Refurbished vid cards

Originally posted by Drizzid
    Has anyone ever bought a refurbished video card from newegg? They have nvidea Leadtek 6800gt's for $199.00 and I'm considering getting one. Anybody have any advice or experience with refurbished video cards. Thanks
    No experience with refurb vid cards, but have purchased many refurb products. A product can be refurb for a variety of reasons. Something as minor as a damaged packaging box to a defective unit (in which the manufacturer fixes.) I thought newegg used to list what made it a refurb. Also check to see if there is a warranty. Many manufacturers still offer a full warranty on a refurb product.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

I was looking at some refurbished stuff on newegg too, but they don't list what makes it so. I doubt I would have ever bought anything refurb'd anyway, I tend to avoid anything that isn't in "brand new" condition for my pc.

Most of the products still do have a decent warranty on them though.
      [squadl]
      "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

I'm a pci express video card from completing my new rig and I'm struggling with cash. Wife still out on maternity leave and video cards is the last thing I should be buying but I really want to get this new rig going. when i get it done I can sell the old one to help pay for the new one but I gotta come up with some cas up front. The agony!
        sigpic

Comment

I'm very wary of refurb cards and other internal components- I sure don't want to keep you from your goal though Drizzid..

I would want to be sure they are differentiating between open box returned items and factory refurbished product.. the later could be acceptable. I hesitate to go with the opened product because I know the TINYEST amount of power disturbance/electrical anomaly is capable of rendering the product instable.. I also know how 'careful' 90% of do-it-yourselfers are.

Just my 2.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah I have done some research and I can get a brand new one for about $40 more so I really don't save that much in the long run. When I saw it, i thought wow that's pretty good and with it being Newegg I thought it would be a more reliable (if you can call refurbished reliable) and trust worthy place to buy it. But I think you guys are right I better stay away from it and just be patient. Thanks guys for the advice
            sigpic

Comment

I bought a refurb'd 5900 series card about 2 years ago from Newegg. DOA. They took it back, but having to pay shipping was a PITA and pretty much killed any savings. I blame it on some dope messing up with flashing the BIOS of the card and returnning it. It was complete though -- all the adapters and software (still sealed).
              Battlefield Admin() ()
              [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
              [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
              | for | |

Comment

Friends dont let friends buy refurb

Comment

I always have great luck with refurb stuff. I have a boatload of refurb stuff including an X800Pro.
                  The Dirty

Comment

I have bought referbished

Computer (eMachines at that)
                    Hardrive
                    TV
                    Reciever
                    Printer
                    Monitor

The only problem I had was with the Pioneer Reciever. I blew up when I plugged it in. Manufactors warrenty covered it so I got a brand spanking new one for half the price (and about 2 months of shipping).

As long as it is covered by a warrenty I don't see a problem.
                    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I've bought refurb comp parts for cheap builds, but have never used them personally. I had one DOA mainboard from Newegg, but they took it right back and sent a brand new one to replace it. I think their return policy might have changed since then, though...
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

most referbs are not that bad man. i only stess that u buy an extended warrenty if u can. in case of a bad case sanario. my last 3 cell phones were referbs not a single problem yet... but theres always the chance there will be a problem/.

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
                        Delta MICS
                        Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

Hi Drizzid,
                          Was good playing with you earlier today, you are an excellent squad leader. Anyhow in regards to your question yes I've purchased many refurbished products from newegg both mobo's and videocards. You should also look at chiefvalue if you are interested in refurbs (I believe they may be owned by newegg also). Refurbs are a hit or miss(I've had some good ones and some bad ones- I don't want to scare you so I won't share), like others have said make sure you buy an extended warranty or be prepared to eat the cost of the card if it dies outside of your return timeframe with newegg, some manufacturers will not want to provide servicing to a card that was not purchased new by the original owner. That being said maybe you should wait a whlie longer, save some cash and pickup a 7800gt, you should be able to find them near the $300.00 mark. Newegg, monarch, zzf typically have been running promotions lately for a bundle with an NF41 board w/7800gt for around $350.00-370.00, if you need a new board that could help you out as well that or just sell it and reduce the overall price of your cost of ownership on the 7800gt. Also the anandtech.com fs/ft forums are a good place to look for used hardware.

Comment

Ya i have a GeForce 6800 pci-e card i just bought from newegg-refurb, works great.

Comment

I buy refurb all the time. I have had only a couple of instances where the merchandise was faulty, and one of those was due to shipping it to me.

I would advise though that buying refurb means no accessories. If you get them, BONUS! I buy refurb mobos all the time and they are always functional... never had one defective..... but they are 90-95% of the time just the board only. no docs, cables, backplates, drivers. if you can deal with that..... I say go for it. even if it is DOA, newegg will take care of it, and you will not be out more than the cost of a retail one... (usually, shipping on refurbs is 1.00 to start with so you save a few bucks there, making for more savings, plus to ship back a vid card is like 10.00..... so even sending back you are still in the plus 35.00 or so.) and then there is the huge chance that it will work just fine.

my $0.02
                              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X