Need some help with mobo selection.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with mobo selection.

I recently got some extra money and have decided to build my first computer from scratch. I know what parts I want but deciding on the mother board is making me quesy. I have looked at toms hardware and anandtech but I just get lost and confused. The reviews on NewEgg don't help me alot either.

I will not overclock and I will need 3 pci slots. (one for the sound card, one for the wireless adapter I have and I would like to have one free.) Only need a couple of USB 2 ports and firewire isn't important.

Parts

Raidmax X1 ATX-909WBP case with 450W PS
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16811156175

eVGA 256-P2-N386 Geforce 6800GS (Retail)
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814130258

Athlon 64 3500+ (Retail)
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16819103533

Seagate 120Gig SATA (OEM)
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16822148039

Memory (Both are dual channel kits, whatever that means.)
    CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820145477
    -and-
    CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820145440

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16829102179

(There are some things like DVD and such)

Can anybody recomend a motherboard that will support and allow the components to perform their best?

Other Requirements
    Cost less than $120us. Be well laid out and spaced (I am kinda clumsy). And would like to be able to purchase from NewEgg because I just like that place.

Couple more questions. Since the HD is OEM does that mean I will have to buy the cables? Is there anything else I should get?

Note: While I have never built a new pc from scratch, I have done alot of computer upgrades. Have also made a couple from the remains of various dead ones. About the only thing I haven't done is placed the cpu onto the motherboard.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Need some help with mobo selection.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153033

thats the only one i could find on new egg...
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Couple more questions. Since the HD is OEM does that mean I will have to buy the cables? Is there anything else I should get?
      Your motherboard should come with at least one SATA cable. Usually they tend to supply a cable for each input the board has.

eVGA 256-P2-N386 Geforce 6800GS (Retail)
      RE: 6800GS is a good choice. However get the XFX though....the default clocks are a good bit higher than the evga and since you don't plan to overclock this is even more important. An extra 60mhz in the core and 100Mhz in the memory is well worth the extra $6.

Athlon 64 3500+ (Retail)
      RE: A good chip. If you got $20 extra to spend consider getting the 3700+ San Diego. Although the same speed the 1MB L2 cache would be nice to have.

Ram? I would just get two of the 1GB packs if you can spend the money now. Just make sure whatever motherboard you decide on has 4 ram slots...most should.

Motherboard? I'm short on time atm...I'll let someone else answer that or I'll edit later.
      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153030

There is a good one. Along with this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153033

These are the only 2 i could find. Good luck!

Comment

I know Newegg is awsome to do biz with but at times the selection is not so good. you may also consider Outpost.com which is the Frys electronics online store.
          ATM I see a A-bit KV8 939/PCIex (same MB I have) for $99
          they also have Asus, Gigibyte, ECS, and a few other boards for-or-at your price range with the slots you will need.

I have had only good dealings with outpost.com. Hope it helps

Sarcoma
          Sarcoma.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. After reading in these forums and other places I have decided to spend the extra bucks and buy it at a local place. It will be nice to drive a few blocks to get some help should I need it.
            Probably going with the asrock dual 939. I have a ATI 9800Pro that is still a pretty good card. With this board I can use it and the new 9800GS.

Once again, thank you.
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Oh yea, and also

FBMantis, took your advice on the cpu. Found that one cheaper at mwave.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande
                Thanks for the suggestions. After reading in these forums and other places I have decided to spend the extra bucks and buy it at a local place. It will be nice to drive a few blocks to get some help should I need it.
                Probably going with the asrock dual 939. I have a ATI 9800Pro that is still a pretty good card. With this board I can use it and the new 9800GS.

Once again, thank you.
                I'm confused. Are you saying you're going to use an ATI 9800 and the 6800gs on the same board? I'm sure I'm just reading your post wrong, but you can't do that. Also, be sure to check out the utilities that unlock the other 6 pipelines on the GS. I hear tell that its real easy and it brings it up to par with the 6800gt.
                sigpic

Comment

Check out his motherboard pick Bod. It's a dual board that allows both AGP and PCI-e cards. So I'm assuming he just means its able to play either of the two. I hope he doesn't think he can use both at once for more power. Gringo...if your planning to buy a 6800GS right away I would just pick a PCI-e only motherboard. If your gonna use your 9800pro for a while longer than ok I sort of see the reasoning.

Originally posted by Bodofooko
                  Also, be sure to check out the utilities that unlock the other 6 pipelines on the GS. I hear tell that its real easy and it brings it up to par with the 6800gt.
                  The GS is already on par with the GT ...I guess you mean the ultra?

Plus the most he could possibly unlock is 4 since the GS has 12 and the 6800 line has 16 max(ultra, gt). Correct me if I'm wrong...
                  |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Maybe I did misunderstand. I thought I could use one card for one monitor and the other for the other. I use two monitors during design and development.

Edit

This article led me to believe this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/16/asrock_939dual/

Specifically this part
                    "Furthermore, an AGP graphics card can continue to be used even after the purchase of a PCIe model. Although no 3D performance increase is possible, it is certainly true that more displays can be operated simultaneously."

Comment

Those 6800GS cards should all support dual monitors... You don't need two cards.
                      Battlefield Admin() ()
                      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                      | for | |

Comment

But, you could have quad monitors with those two cards :) Four is better than two.

Comment

I'm a bit late, but here is another link. I always use Gigabyte mobo's, and haven't really had any problems (northbridge fan went out on my first one, but that's it).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128268

Also- dual channel memory. This is a technology that allows you to add an extra pipeline for information to flow from your memory to your memory controller, increasing bandwith/performance. The basics:

-The memory slots on your mobo will be designated (in pairs) as channel A and B. This is usually done by color, each slot pair being different.

-You must use an even amount of ram sticks.

-The ram must match size/speed-wise in the slots. Here's where I'm not 100% clear; I believe that slot A1 must match slot B1, and A2-B2. I don't believe all 4 slots need to be the same. So, you should be able to a 512 in A1 and B1, and a 256 in A2 and B2, and it should still run in dual-channel mode (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Regardless of my thoughts on a 4-stick config, a 2-stick config must have one in A1 and one in B1.

-Operating outside of these specs dumps you down to single-channel memory.

The mobo config is what really determines dual channel ability, not the ram itself. If it's a dual channel "kit", it just means they're sending you ram that is paired in speed and size so that they will work in that config.
                          [squadl]
                          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X