Some help with Processors ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some help with Processors ?

OK, I currently have a P4 2.6 Ghz processor and I am looking to bump up my performance a little so I wanted to know how much better (if any) a AMD 64 3700 would be in performance than what I have now ?

I am currently looking at a AMD 64 3700 chip and MOBO combo but I am not too familiar with the comparison between AMD and Intel is .....

I also have a FATAL1TY sound card and a ATI XT800 vid card

Any help would be appreciated !!!
    |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
    [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Re: Some help with Processors ?

The prossesor you are looking at would boost you a whole lot! Its 64, and it runs way faster.
    -------
    Ur question isnt going to be answered unless you give us more info do u have PCI, or AGP? What is your memory(RAM) type.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabooya
      The prossesor you are looking at would boost you a whole lot! Its 64, and it runs way faster.
      -------
      Ur question isnt going to be answered unless you give us more info do u have PCI, or AGP? What is your memory(RAM) type.

Yes AGP .... 1 GIG of Corsair ram right now ....

I plan on using the Sound and Vid Cards
      |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

Comment

thats a big jumpif u go with 64-bit.If u cut SLI from the MOBO thenu can save a little extra well if ur not planning to have SLI or crossfire

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
        Delta MICS
        Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

Looks like I am going to go with the AMD 64 3700+ SanDiego and 2 GB of ram ...

With the MOBO I estimate around $480.
          |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

Comment

I'd suggest waiting until you can switch to a PCI-E solution. AGP is simply a wasted investment.

I'm using an Athlon 64 3700+ right now. Here are the details on my config:

DFI LANParty UT NF4 ULTRA-D Motherboard ATX S939 NFORCE4 Ultra DDR 2PCI-E16 SATA RAID Sound LAN 1394
            AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Processor S939 San Diego 2.2GHZ 1MB L2 Cache 90NM Retail Box
            OCZ EL Platinum PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL2-3-2-5 184PIN Pin Dual Channel Memory Kit /W Ramsink
            Enermax EG495P-VE Noisetaker 485W Power Supply ATX12V 24 Pin P4 & PCI-E Ready
            Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO2 256MB 256BIT GDDR3 PCI-E VGA DVI TV-OUT OEM Video Card
            Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB SATA W/ NCQ 7200RPM 8MB 8MS Hard Drive 5 Year MFR Warranty

(Cut 'n pasted from my order e-mail, so sorry if it's a little verbose).

Make sure the RAM is nice and fast. It's worth the extra $$. AFAIC, 1GB of fast RAM is a better investment than 2GB of slow RAM, because you can always add more fast RAM later.

Make sure your power supply is good, too. I've never had any problems with Enermax so I tend to stick with the brand.

I'm happy with the DFI board -- it's nice and tweakable -- but Asus is a close second choice in my books. The DFI requires some careful setup (especially, do NOT use the NF4 drivers for your IDE and do NOT use the NF4 firewall) -- visit http://www.dfi-street.com for some great tips.

I've soft-modded my Sapphire card up to an 850 (highly recommended choice, BTW) but even before I did that the video performance was quite good.
            |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Well I already have the Sound Card and the Video Card that I just recently purchased ( and that are currently running in my system now ) so, there is NO WAY I am going to spend that much money again for a PCI-E version ....

So what you are saying is .... It is a waste of Money to just upgrade that Processor, MOBO, and Ram ?
              |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

Comment

I wouldn't call it a waste of money, since you will get the performance boost you're after, but keep in mind that you'll almost certainly want a PCI-E solution for your next video upgrade. If you think you'll be happy with your current video card for a while, then OK...otherwise I'd suffer the short-term pain. Keep in mind that you can keep your sound card; it's just the video we're talking about. And, if it's a new card, perhaps you can sell it for a reasonable price?
                |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

I think everyone is right. If you're going to buy a new MOBO, you had better get one that's PCIe compatible. Otherwise, down the line, you'll end up buying another MOBO when you upgrade your video card.

Here's another solution, if you don't mind having a cheaper MOBO and you really want to upgrade your CPU and hold onto that x800. Get a MOBO that has both AGP and PCIe slots.

newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

I have no clue if the chipset on this board is good or not. If there's one of these, there must be others as well. Maybe there's a better one. Someone else might know more than me, but it's got both an AGP and PCIex16 slot so you could use your x800 now and not have to buy a new board when you upgrade.

(I guess I can't post links until I have 15 posts, so just copy and paste/)

Comment

I had a similar problem where i wanted to upgrade my processor but i have an agp x800 graphics card and didnt want to spend that money again. A magazine called custom pc reviewed this board here http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx...PageMode=1&v=1
                    which has an agp and a pci-e, it is a socket 939 so will take any of the amd64 chips you might be interested in and allows for a future upgrade to pci-express when you want. It may not be the best board on the market but for under £50 it is well worth it. Also see this link here http://www.custompc.co.uk/
                    and navigate to the"cpu wars" bit as they have just reviewed a host of cpu's and the results have helped me choose a new cpu.
                    Good Luck

Comment

I have found several MOBO's that have great reviews that have both PCI-E and AGP.

I may just go ahead and get the MOBO with both slots for the future of a PCI-E Vid Card.

thanks for the help guys and can't wait to see what kind of BOOST I get from the new Processor.
                      |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

Comment

I figure if you have AGP, either upgrade what you can with the mobo or Just buy a whole new comp and have 2. Its either taht or have an extra AGP card, and MObo, and most liekly a bunch of other parts.

Comment

PCI-e uses less power than an AGP slot does though.
                          XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X