Comp. shuts off during gameplay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comp. shuts off during gameplay

Ok, I just got FEAR and I've been trying to play - OMG, such an awesome game - but right in the middle of gameplay, my computer will shut down for no reason. (It's actually a laptop)

Anyone know of any possible reasons that this could be happening to me?
    "Fear is chaos. War is chaos. Chaos is unlimited power. It is a power that even the gods respect."

Wrong things to say when your gf says, "I love you":
    hahahahahahahaha
    uh thats nice but, yer not john
    yeah keep the change

Re: Comp. shuts off during gameplay

If its a laptop, I am most certian that it would be from overheating.

Comment

Hmm... It does get pretty hot, and I'm sure running this thing with the more extravagant graphics would force it to work harder...

Any tips?
      "Fear is chaos. War is chaos. Chaos is unlimited power. It is a power that even the gods respect."

hahahahahahahaha
      yeah keep the change

Comment

Originally posted by Magius Avvail
        Any tips?
        Get an icepack to set the computer on! :D
        AKA ContingencyPlan

Comment

What are the specs of your laptop?

I am guessing higher-end because it can run FEAR, but depending on the surface that you have the laptop on it could be overheating due to lack of ventilation or something obstructing the fan ports. If this still doesn't work you may want to have a fan blow across the bottom of the laptop to see if that solves the problem, if it does look into one of those cooling pads you can put your laptop on top of. If that doesn't solve the problem there may be something else wrong with your laptop or there is a bug in FEAR that is crashing your laptop. Does it always crash in the same spot or area?
          -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Originally posted by KillerTarget
            What are the specs of your laptop?

I am guessing higher-end because it can run FEAR, but depending on the surface that you have the laptop on it could be overheating due to lack of ventilation or something obstructing the fan ports. If this still doesn't work you may want to have a fan blow across the bottom of the laptop to see if that solves the problem, if it does look into one of those cooling pads you can put your laptop on top of. If that doesn't solve the problem there may be something else wrong with your laptop or there is a bug in FEAR that is crashing your laptop. Does it always crash in the same spot or area?

No, it does it after I've played FEAR for a few minutes.

I have the laptop on a normal wooden desktop. The fans aren't obstructed, but it's possible that the laptop is too low...

Specs:
            Pentium 4 3.4GHz,
            1GB of RAM,
            Nvidia GeForce Go 6800,
            The fans are on the bottom of the laptop.

hahahahahahahaha
            yeah keep the change

Comment

Ok, i would try an experiment where you raise the laptop stabily over some books or a stand that gives the fans no obstruction what so ever or try it on a steel or aluminum desk and see if that makes a difference. Also does anyone know of programs that can record mobo and vid card temps and write them to a file so you can see what the temp of the laptop was before it crashed? I am not sure if mobo monitor does this because I don't use or really need this feature as I don't overclock.
              -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Try turning down your settings in game also, dropping the load to your system might help.
                a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I've seen this with heat on laptops a lot. Especially on a solid surface with some density to it.. like wood. My BOXX is probably the first one that I have not had that issue arise - but it stands off tabletops pretty high and the heat sinks are gynormus (3.4GHz Prescott).

It may also not be the CPU that is overheating - there are lots of things in laptops that aren't given respect in regards to cooling them.. try maximizing the space underneath of it or a third-party cooling platform for it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I've noticed that it does run for a longer period of time when the graphics are on lower settings... But..., but... ;-; The graphics for FEAR are just so gooooood. *cries*

3rd party cooling platforms..., I've seen one once... How much does a decent one run for?

And that temperature reading program, I'd like to know about that too. I could use it.

hahahahahahahaha
                    yeah keep the change

Comment

Ive seen just a simple little metal stand that raises the laptop off of the desk help alot to cool it down. You can probably just remedy the situation by sticking something under it and pointing a fan at it. I have mine on a docking station and that cools it off because of the space it gives it. You can download a program called PC Wizard 2005 and that will calculate the temperatures of your drives and graphics card and tells you what the load on them is.

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
                        Ive seen just a simple little metal stand that raises the laptop off of the desk help alot to cool it down. You can probably just remedy the situation by sticking something under it and pointing a fan at it.
                        On some it was as simple as sticking a 1" book behind it to prop it up and that took care of it.
                        sigpic

Comment

I tried that, and it still didn't work for me... The book thing.

Hey..., my comp. is a laptop that uses a "high-end" *rolls eyes* DESKTOP processor. I would surmise that it gets extremely hot... xD

An aluminum platform with 2 fans that run at 3200 to 3400 RPM and raises the laptop up off the surface - would that help much? xD
                          Only 18 bux, too.

Thanks for the program, dude.

hahahahahahahaha
                          yeah keep the change

Comment

Hey..., my comp. is a laptop that uses a "high-end" *rolls eyes* DESKTOP processor. I would surmise that it gets extremely hot... xD
                            Mine too.. I refer to it as a 'Folding Desktop' rather than laptop - using it on one's lap yields a rather uncomfortable burning sensation on ones' thigh.

An aluminum platform with 2 fans that run at 3200 to 3400 RPM and raises the laptop up off the surface - would that help much? xD
                            Only 18 bux, too.

Thanks for the program, dude.
                            $18 - sure why not? I would've expected some improvement with the laptop propped up tho.. at least a little.
                            sigpic

Comment

It seemed to last a smidgen longer in-game, but not that much. I generally try to keep it away from my lap. xD

The laptop was built as a 'gaming laptop.' You'd think it wouldn't have such a problem with heat.

hahahahahahahaha
                              yeah keep the change

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse