My X-box is dying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My X-box is dying

After picking it up around 3 years ago, my hard drive is making the ever sickening "du-dunk du-dunk du-dunk" that signals an impending head crash that will completely obliterate it.

Does anyone know what MS charges to replace the HDD? Or can you replace it yourself. I'm pretty sure it has an OS on it, so it'd have to be formatted.

I've considered modding it to run linux, but I plan to buy a 360 and I want to give my original X-Box to my brother in law.

Re: My X-box is dying

Not sure what MS would do for you. I guess they have a HD replacement program, but it probably costs more than a new xbox these days.

Softmodding it and replacing the hard drive is not terribly hard or expensive to do if you want to go that route. That would prevent your inevitable HD crash and allow you to run Linux as well. Not sure of the legality of this in various countries, but I know the info is out there.
    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

If I were you, I would consider pulling the drive, putting it in your PC, and checking to see if you can make a Norton Ghost image of the drive. That way you can replace the drive, restore the Ghost image, and be back in business.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
        If I were you, I would consider pulling the drive, putting it in your PC, and checking to see if you can make a Norton Ghost image of the drive. That way you can replace the drive, restore the Ghost image, and be back in business.
        That's a pretty damn good idea. I've got an extra IDE drive lying around.

Comment

You can't do that. Not easily. The drive is locked to the xbox hardware and you need a little magic to get the key.

Comment

Originally posted by icky
            You can't do that. Not easily. The drive is locked to the xbox hardware and you need a little magic to get the key.
            Dewalt makes some good magic keys.

A little lock on a plastic console HD carrier shouldn't stop anyone. :icon_cool
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Heh... no no... unless you plan on ripping apart the HD, that's not what I meant. It is a software lock in the HD. When you power up, the Xbox unlocks the HD with the key, which is based on a password and a hw ID in the EEPROM of the Xbox. Whenever the drive powers off, it locks itself again. The only way to take an Xbox drive and access it in a PC is to unlock it.

Comment

Yes you can replace the HDD, just read up at some random Xbox hacking website and following the replacement procedure, it involves quite a bit of stuff.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X