X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading MOBO/PROCESSOR/MEMORY Question

Hello all,

OK,
    I went through and purchased and new MOBO a AMD 64 3700+ SanDiego ( on FBMantis's recommendation and reading some reviews ) and 2 GB of CORSAIR DDR400 RAM.

My question is:

Will I be able to swap all this out without having to do a full re-install of Windows ?

I really didn't want to reformat a re-install everything ( which I do about once a year ) just don't feel like doing it right now ...

Thanks ...
    |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
    [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Re: Upgrading MOBO/PROCESSOR/MEMORY Question

If you were just upgrading the CPU and RAM it would be no problem, but you're also upgrading your MOBO. You should read =DdogG='s sticky about the legalities of different versions of XP. If you have an OEM version of XP, you'll need to buy a new copy of XP for the new MOBO. An OEM key allows you to reinstall it as many times as you want but only on the original computer; and since the key is tied with the MOBO that means only on the original MOBO. If you have a retail version of XP, you'll need to reinstall once you hook up the new MOBO, I think. [Edit: no reinstall needed: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...d=1755&page=5] :( Software licenses are such a hassle huh?

Once you decide on getting a new MOBO, it's probably better to just build a whole new computer. Slightly less economical, but you'll have a backup computer if the new starts giving you problems.

Comment

Depending on the change in chipsets you may or may not have too. Too be honest I don't know why in the world you wouldn't want to format, I understand it can be a pain but why would you want to sacrifice performs gains from your new rig by having windows muck up your drivers and registry? Start clean, you will appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie
        If you were just upgrading the CPU and RAM it would be no problem, but you're also upgrading your MOBO. You should read =DdogG='s sticky about the legalities of different versions of XP. If you have an OEM version of XP, you'll need to buy a new copy of XP for the new MOBO. An OEM key allows you to reinstall it as many times as you want but only on the original computer; and since the key is tied with the MOBO that means only on the original MOBO. If you have a retail version of XP, you'll need to reinstall once you hook up the new MOBO, I think. [Edit: no reinstall needed: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...d=1755&page=5] :( Software licenses are such a hassle huh?

Once you decide on getting a new MOBO, it's probably better to just build a whole new computer. Slightly less economical, but you'll have a backup computer if the new starts giving you problems.
        the only exception to this is if the original motherboard fails. since I see you are trying to sell your old rig in the buy/sell/trade forum, this is not the case here...... btw, how much for that?..... anyway, LEGALLY if you are using OEM xp license, you ***ARE*** allowed to to transfer the key with the motherboard ***IF*** you supply all documentation, media, and the key code itself, so you might want to add the cost of a new xp oem to the price on your old rig if you were using oem...... again, how much?........

hope this helps (and yes, you DEFINATELY want to do a clean install.........)
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

ive custimized my rig to noend, changing mobos and cpu's all kinds of stuff and it has often told me i need to re-register my copy of xp, i just phone up microsoft and 2 mins later im done and carry on with things, ive never heard of such a hassle as buying new lisences....

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

I just got done with a similar scenario. I had an OEM copy of XP on the original system, bought a retail copy for the new system. Inserted the new CD, booted off it in the new configuration, told XP to do a Repair installation (not Recovery console, completely different!). I had to call MS for activation (it's an automated system) because my LAN interface was on the motherboard so it couldn't see the network, but other than that it worked just fine.
            Installed new chipset drivers, fixed a couple of minor oddities, and it runs great.

Comment

Originally posted by oakenfol
              Too be honest I don't know why in the world you wouldn't want to format, I understand it can be a pain but why would you want to sacrifice performs gains from your new rig by having windows muck up your drivers and registry? Start clean, you will appreciate it!
              I agree. Start burning CDs of the stuff that you must save from your current HDD and then wipe it and start over.

You should do this about once a year, regardless of upgrades, BTW. Your system will run MUCH smoother for it...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by xink
                ive custimized my rig to noend, changing mobos and cpu's all kinds of stuff and it has often told me i need to re-register my copy of xp, i just phone up microsoft and 2 mins later im done and carry on with things, ive never heard of such a hassle as buying new lisences....
                my appologies. I was under the obviously erroneous impression that the mature gaming environment nurtured here would somehow translate to real world scenarios. I never said it was not POSSIBLE, I said it was ILLEGAL. I used to be in the pirate camp too, but have since made every effort to use only free software (AVG, antispyware, OpenOffice 2.0, HTMLkit, Audacity, AudioGrabber, VLC Client, 7zip, Zero footprint crypt, etc.), or purchase titles that are worth the money to me (WinXP, Nero 7 Ultra, VMWare, Ghost, Adobe Photoshop, Acrobat, Premiere/Pro, Elements, etc.). My OS is the first on that list.

I offer my advice on Eula's so he can make an informed decision, offer to pay the retail cost of that xp key along with the purchase of the hardware it belongs to so he can purchase another copy of XP to stay legal, and somehow it's a hassle? It's also a hassle to pay taxes every year, but I do it because it is the law.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
                  my appologies. I was under the obviously erroneous impression that the mature gaming environment nurtured here would somehow translate to real world scenarios. I never said it was not POSSIBLE, I said it was ILLEGAL. I used to be in the pirate camp too, but have since made every effort to use only free software (AVG, antispyware, OpenOffice 2.0, HTMLkit, Audacity, AudioGrabber, VLC Client, 7zip, Zero footprint crypt, etc.), or purchase titles that are worth the money to me (WinXP, Nero 7 Ultra, VMWare, Ghost, Adobe Photoshop, Acrobat, Premiere/Pro, Elements, etc.). My OS is the first on that list.

I offer my advice on Eula's so he can make an informed decision, offer to pay the retail cost of that xp key along with the purchase of the hardware it belongs to so he can purchase another copy of XP to stay legal, and somehow it's a hassle? It's also a hassle to pay taxes every year, but I do it because it is the law.
                  what are you talking about? i use a LEGIT version of windows xp home edition and although i dont know the legalities of it, i dont see why i need to purchase a new lisence just to change my mobo? mabe you got the wrong end of the stick but whenever ive changed a major compenent ive legally phoned up microsoft and sorted it out,i buy my software and would prefer it if you wouldnt insinuate otherwise.

edit: bear in mind im running a retail, i dont know what version gixxer is using (he hasnt stated) but im pretty sure if it is a retail he can just reactivate it over the phone without it being illigal?
                  Last edited by Limenote; 01-05-2006, 03:15 PM.

Comment

*****EDIT*****
                    you edited yours while I was typing mine..... you are correct, retail version make provision for even upgrading the motherboard. OEM versions do not.

*******My whole post was all contingent on the fact that you were using an OEM version of XP HOME, and circumventing crucial parts of the eula however, and since you are not and have a retail copy, then you have done nothing wrong, and my previous posts never applied to you.******

and my appologies on assuming you were using OEM, I stated the OEM part several times in my original post, and thought you were rebutting that part of my statement.

but since I spent 45 minutes on this.........

here is a section of the OEM XP HOME EULA. It refers to the "Hardware" as the original computer purchased with the software. It also states that the SOFTWARE cannot be transferred (see the 4th red letter section) to different computers.

As an interesting side note, I remember talking about this in another thread, Microsoft makes a provision for downloading the software for winXP home (2nd red letter section).....

see highlights in red.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
                    END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT

IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY: This End-User
                    License Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you
                    (either an individual or a single legal entity) and the
                    manufacturer ("Manufacturer") of the computer system or
                    computer system component ("HARDWARE") with which you acquired
                    the Microsoft software product(s) identified on the
                    Certificate of Authenticity ("COA") affixed to the HARDWARE or
                    on the associated product documentation ("SOFTWARE").
                    The
                    SOFTWARE includes Microsoft computer software, and may include
                    associated media, printed materials, "online" or electronic
                    documentation, and Internet based services. Note, however,
                    that any software, documentation, or web services that are
                    included in the SOFTWARE, or accessible via the SOFTWARE, and
                    are accompanied by their own license agreements or terms of
                    use are governed by such agreements rather than this EULA.
                    The terms of a printed paper EULA, which may accompany the
                    SOFTWARE, supersede the terms of any on-screen EULA. This
                    EULA is valid and grants the end-user rights ONLY if the
                    SOFTWARE is genuine and a genuine Certificate of Authenticity
                    for the SOFTWARE is included. For more information on
                    identifying whether your software is genuine, please see
                    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell.

By installing, copying, downloading, accessing or otherwise
                    using the SOFTWARE
                    , you agree to be bound by the terms of this
                    EULA. If you do not agree to the terms of this EULA, you may
                    not use or copy the SOFTWARE, and you should promptly contact
                    Manufacturer for instructions on return of
                    the unused product(s) for a refund in accordance with
                    Manufacturer's return policies.
                    SOFTWARE PRODUCT LICENSE
                    The term "COMPUTER" as used herein shall mean the HARDWARE, if
                    the HARDWARE is a single computer system, or shall mean the
                    computer system with which the HARDWARE operates, if the
                    HARDWARE is a computer system component.

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Manufacturer grants you the following
                    rights, provided you comply with all of the terms and
                    conditions of this EULA:
                    * Installation and Use. Except as otherwise expressly
                    provided in this EULA, you may install, use, access, display
                    and run only one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on the COMPUTER.
                    The SOFTWARE may not be used by more than one (1) processor
                    at any one time on the COMPUTER, unless a higher number is
                    indicated on the Certificate of Authenticity.
                    You may permit
                    a maximum of five (5) ("Connection Maximum") computers or
                    other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the
                    COMPUTER to utilize one or more of the following services of
                    the SOFTWARE: File services, Print services, Internet
                    Information services, and remote access (including connection
                    sharing and telephony services). The five (5) Connection
                    Maximum includes any indirect connections made through
                    "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools or
                    aggregates connections. Except as otherwise permitted herein,
                    you may not use the Device to use, access, display or run the
                    SOFTWARE, the SOFTWARE's User Interface or other executable
                    software residing on the COMPUTER. This ten connection
                    maximum does not apply to any other uses of the Product.
                    * Software as a Component of the Computer - Transfer. THIS
                    LICENSE MAY NOT BE SHARED, TRANSFERRED TO OR
                    USED CONCURRENTLY ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS. The SOFTWARE
                    is licensed with the COMPUTER as a single integrated product and
                    may only be used with the COMPUTER. If the SOFTWARE is not
                    accompanied by HARDWARE, you may not use the SOFTWARE.
                    You may permanently transfer all of your rights
                    under this EULA only as part of a permanent sale or transfer
                    of the COMPUTER, provided you retain no copies, if you
                    transfer the SOFTWARE (including all component parts, the
                    media, any upgrades, this EULA and the Certificate of
                    Authenticity), and the recipient agrees to the terms of this
                    EULA.
                    If the SOFTWARE is an upgrade, any transfer must also
                    include all prior versions of the SOFTWARE.
                    * Mandatory Activation. THIS SOFTWARE
                    CONTAINS TECHNOLOGICAL MEASURES THAT ARE
                    DESIGNED TO PREVENT UNLICENSED OR ILLEGAL USE
                    OF THE SOFTWARE........"
                    ".......however, you will still be able to access
                    unprotected content and Secure Content that does not require
                    the upgrade.
                    * Back-up Copy. YOU MAY MAKE A SINGLE BACK-UP
                    COPY OF THE SOFTWARE.
                    YOU MAY USE ONE
                    (1) BACK-UP COPY SOLELY FOR YOUR ARCHIVAL
                    PURPOSES AND TO REINSTALL THE SOFTWARE ON THE
                    COMPUTER. EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED IN
                    THIS EULA OR BY LOCAL LAW, YOU MAY NOT
                    OTHERWISE MAKE COPIES OF THE SOFTWARE,
                    INCLUDING THE PRINTED MATERIALS ACCOMPANYING
                    THE SOFTWARE. YOU MAY NOT LOAN, RENT, LEASE,
                    LEND OR OTHERWISE TRANSFER THE CD OR BACK-UP
                    COPY TO ANOTHER USER.
                    * Reservation of Rights. Manufacturer, MS and
                    its suppliers (including Microsoft Corporation) reserve all
                    rights not expressly granted to you in this EULA......."

Comment

It is retail .... and I didn't mean for this to get into a battle over software right and regulations ....

I have decided to do a COMPLETE RE-INSTALL of the operating system.
                      I am currently in the process of backing-up all of the THOUSANDS of edited Photos I have on my Hard Drive ..( I do Photography - http://www.pbase.com/ssp )

I will cross each bridge when I come to it ..... Thanks to all !!
                      |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

Comment

ok cool, good luck with that gix

Comment

Originally posted by Xink
                          ok cool, good luck with that gix
                          ;)
                          |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer_USMC
                            It is retail .... and I didn't mean for this to get into a battle over software right and regulations ....

I have decided to do a COMPLETE RE-INSTALL of the operating system.

no biggie, I like when the content of these threads is worth more than the initial intent.

This started off with a hardware question, and wound up answering some questions people hadn't asked yet. it also clarified an old question... i.e. is downloading a win xp home cd ok. answer.... apparently. This is how many of those stickies at the top got there......

good luck with the overhaul.

Comment

You'll be glad for having the backups anyway. HDD's sometimes have that lovely tendancy to just not run anymore when they feel like dying on you :D
                              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X