Virus ate my system.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus ate my system.

Can't access my registry. Looking for a good program to use to restore registry that is freeware. Can't afford anything big.

When run regedit it pops up the Dos screen and closes it a second later most of the time. Some times it pops up the Dos screen and runs a bunch of encrypted text across it and then closes a few minutes later.

Any ideas?

-Mom
    Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Re: Virus ate my system.

Originally posted by Yer Mom
    Any ideas?

....Format C:?

=P Sorry, but that's usually my solution when a virus has gotten that far into a system.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Boot into "Safe Mode" (F8 before XP Splash Screen appears at bootup).

Check and see if you can get into the registry at this point after Windows loads.

Remove anything that shouldn't be there via add/remove programs if possible.

Comment

Can't access my registry. Looking for a good program to use to restore registry that is freeware. Can't afford anything big.

When run regedit it pops up the Dos screen and closes it a second later most of the time. Some times it pops up the Dos screen and runs a bunch of encrypted text across it and then closes a few minutes later.

Any ideas?

-Mom
        Your is probably virus still running in the background and is blocking access to the registry. Try to find out which virus you have and there will most likely be detailed removal instructions available.
        Steam Community: | |

Comment

Just remembered that it's not totally registry, it's cmd. When I hit run and type cmd or command or anything, it just closes. Just as if I were trying to open the registry.

-Mom
          Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

So booting to Safe Mode does...what?

Try an online malware scan like at Trend Micro or ewido.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
              ....Format C:?

=P Sorry, but that's usually my solution when a virus has gotten that far into a system.

Agreed. This is by far the best solution. Not to mention a good blow away is always a nice performance enhancer.

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

Reformat is always a last choice for me. Lots of stuff I don't want to lose and reinstall. EQ2 was a 10 disk set, damn it. Plus hours of downloads for upgrades that need to be done. DSL is fast, but it's still slow in bulk.

Safe mode brings the same results. I've tried Trend Micro's only site, but it only seems to run slower than every other program in the world. Estimated at 14 hours and 23 minutes.

I was thinking that maybe I could get the registry off of a windows CD and boot to DOS with a 9x floppy and recopy the registry from the CD to the registry file in DOS, but I don't know if that will screw with my already installed programs. If I could access the registry, I could find and eliminate the threat I am facing.

-Mom
                Yer Mom /O>

Comment

If I could access the registry, I could find and eliminate the threat I am facing.
                  This is where Bart's PE Builder CD can come in handy. You could use it to do what these instructions mention.
                  Battlefield Admin() ()
                  [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                  [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                  | for | |

Comment

I was thinking that maybe I could get the registry off of a windows CD and boot to DOS with a 9x floppy and recopy the registry from the CD to the registry file in DOS, but I don't know if that will screw with my already installed programs.
                    That would most likely destroy your windows install.

As I said before, it is most likely a virus that is blocking your access to the registry... its happened to me several times before. Get a virus checker, even an online one, that can identify the virus and then you can get removal instructions from a virus information database
                    Steam Community: | |

Comment

hang on a sec mate, i'll have a look on my site see what i can find.
                      Abehep

Comment

These guys have a free AV download for home non-commercial use:

http://www.avast.com/

No personal experience with it. It was mentioned today on my team's forums.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X