Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a wireless router act as an access point?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a wireless router act as an access point?

I have a linksys WRTP54G wireless router with vonage. I've recently picked up a new linksys router (not wireles) that I plan on using as my main router. I would like to use my old wireless router as just a wireless access point. I didn't see anything in the settings to specifically make it that way.

Does anyone know how I could do this? ... or what settings I should be looking at?
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Making a wireless router act as an access point?

Wow, I looked through on-line forums for that router and can't seem to find anything conclusive at all. Glancing through the manual it doesn't even seem to reference it at all.

I know my Netgear WGR-614 has an option to turn OFF the AP function but no way to say 'function ONLY as an AP'.

Comment

I've recently purchased a WRT54GS Linksys router. I've modded the firmware to HyperWRT (Google it.), which likely supports the WRTP54G. I highly recommend this.

The modded firmware has many additional features. Few of them are necessary at face value, but MANY of them come in VERY handy for niche needs. Using the router as an access point (instead of a gateway) is just such a feature.

I'm so impressed with this firmware, and my new Linksys router, I'm seriously considering writing a review about it in our reviews forum, focusing on the process I followed to modify the firmware.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Would like to see your review and the process you used. Will it work with the WRT54G?

**edit** yuppers, it is listed. But I will still wait for your review.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
          I've recently purchased a WRT54GS Linksys router. I've modded the firmware to HyperWRT (Google it.), which likely supports the WRTP54G. I highly recommend this.
          I don't believe the modded firmware supports vonage.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

Oh... I misunderstood. You're wanting to use the old router as both an access point AND your Vonage enabler? I wouldn't think that possible, as Vonage relies on packet routing, which you'd lose by making your old an access point ("disabling the routing").

I assumed your new router supported Vonage and would act as Vonage's enabler, leaving your old wireless router to broadcast and not route?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Hmm... that will be a problem then. ugh.
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

Does Vonage not support your new Linksys router?

Comment

The new router does not have the vonage phone ports.

I was reading through the settings... what happens if I turn "Firewall & NAT" off?

Firewall & NAT.
                  The Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) firewall reviews data packets entering your network. NAT is a security feature that enables the Router to translate IP addresses of your local area network to a different IP address for the Internet. These features are enabled by default. To disable the firewall and NAT, click the Disable radio button. (When NAT is disabled, the DHCP server feature is also disabled.)
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

Disabling a firewall won't enable the routing. Disabling NAT might, but I doubt doing so is what you want. It might, though.

Comment

First, check out http://www.linksysinfo.org/. There's also a Linksys section at http://www.broadbandreports.com/. Great resources for picking the minds of other Linksys users.

I have a WRT54G at home running Sveasoft Satori firmware, and a WRT54G and WRT54GS at the office running Sveasoft Talisman (later version). I pay $20/year for access to the Sveasoft private forum and latest releases.

If you want to use custom firmware, beware: Linksys changed the hardware inside the latest WRT54G and GS for economy so check serial numbers before you buy to make sure you get an older unit. The new G's run Vxworks instead of Linux and can't be flashed with custom firmware. The newest GS has half the memory, so if you want a GS for the extra memory to run more applications, you'll need the older unit.
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The two units I have at the office are being used only as AP's. Even with stock firmware, you just don't use the WAN port. With custom firmware, you can just turn that port off. Some custom firmware also lets you change topology, moving the wireless subnet outside the firewall into the DMZ or even into the WAN zone, so you could in principle leave the AP open and not worry about outside users seeing your LAN.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Do the Vonage units allow you to talk from phone to VOIP phone within the LAN, or only from phone to WAN? If you can use the phone to connect to the LAN, then just don't use the WAN port and you're done.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                            Do the Vonage units allow you to talk from phone to VOIP phone within the LAN, or only from phone to WAN? If you can use the phone to connect to the LAN, then just don't use the WAN port and you're done.
                            The incoming network line hits the vonage router and then an outgoing vonage port plugs into the house closed circuit phone system. I can then use any phone port in the house to make calls using vonage.
                            |TG-12th| asch
                            sigpic

Comment

Ok, I see the issue. The phone port implies a local network host (within the router) that gateways PSTN traffic to VOIP, and that requires that host to have a route to Vonage. So the question is whether that gateway setting can be configured to be other than the one supplied over the WAN port, ie. to another gateway within the LAN. I'd check the two forums I mentioned above to see if anyone's tried that. (It might be obvious from inspection of the available settings in the configuration web page.)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X