New computer start up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New computer start up

Hey guys i need some advice. I just built my first box. Im starting it for the first time, what are the first things i do, just put in the windows? How long does it take it to load a hour or so? Im thinking something is wrong, i have a screen & everything & the rom is working but how long does it take. I called my local comp store they did'nt help much. One thing is i dont have the 3.5 floppy did;nt think i needed it but the guy at the computer store said i did because i have a sata drive. Here's specs.

Asus A8N-SLI
    AMD 3500 Venice
    250 ata sata drive 16 mb
    2 Gig OCZ ram
    Nivedia 6800 GT card
    Just a regular cd rom
    No Floppy
    windows x/p pro
    Every thing is hooked up that i can tell Im freaking out, i need more coffee thx.

Re: New computer start up

yah if im not mistaken you need to install your SATA drivers before windows so that it recognizes those drives....try that and let us know
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Sata drivers what are those. Only disc's i have are the mobo disc & windows.

Comment

did anything come with your drives..or no......maybe im wrong...
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Depending on the board and all that, you may not need the floppy. I don't on my nForce4 board using the NVIDIA SATA controller (I have 2 SATA controllers, I think I would using the other one).

If you get past the initial part where Windows is loading lots of SCSI drivers and then get to partition your drive, you should be set.

How far is your Windows install getting?
          Battlefield Admin() ()
          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
          | for | |

Comment

I got it guys. Ya. Man i was sweating for a while there. I did'nt need the floppy.
            I had a bad cd rom. I went & bought a dual layer DVD-CD Rom & the rigth cable & presto it loaded windows right off. Ive never had a computer worth more than my car. Seems good so far going to try it out on the n/s sever later. Thx for the help TGers! Later.

Comment

Keep your firewall up and make sure you get all the updates before doing anything else. There's a lot of malware just waiting to break in. If you're installing anything earlier than SP2, don't even think about connecting that machine to the Internet without a NAT router. SP1 machines will be infected in less than 10 minutes. Even with SP2, I recommend the router for peace of mind. Think of it as an "Internet condom". :p

I recommend avoiding MS web/email clients. I use Mozilla (Firefox, Thunderbird, Seamonkey) for anything I can and drop to IE only when I have to, like for Windows Updates. But Opera is also good.

Given the price of your machine, you should also consider power conditioning. At least a surge protector. Even better, a UPS. That will help protect your machine from zaps from the power company's incompetence, or from somebody driving into a power pole and shorting the high-tension wires at the top of the pole to the 110 stuff lower down and feeding 4 kv into your motherboard.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X