Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HalfLife 2

Just bought it.

There is an annoying stutter that happens during play. I have set most of the settings to low and run at 800x600.

Current machine
    1gig ram
    ATI 9800pro 128
    Latest Omega Drivers
    Athlon XP 3200+ (or close to that)
    Soundblaster Live! something.

I would just chalk it up to being a intensive game but BF2 Is much smother with medium to high settings.

Any ideas?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: HalfLife 2

It studderes when you enter a new area, because it auto saves the game and loads up the new level.

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
      It studderes when you enter a new area, because it auto saves the game and loads up the new level.
      This is pretty much all the time. About every 20 seconds it does it.
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Now im stumped. Does it only studder before fights or encounters, or just about every 20 seconds, even if you are in a "simple" area? I have it and it doesn't studder at all, but I have a X300 Radeon card. Everything else is the same, 1gig of RAM, Audigy 2 soundcard, Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0 ghz. Mabey not the same, but not opposite ends of the universe. Heat shouldn't be an issue, unless this is a laptop, but it looks like a desktop. But BF2 runs on medium to high settings without that much studdering? Mine I have set on 1064x786 or something, and low to medium settings and it runs fine.

Comment

i dont know much about source, though i heard a bug exisited just after release with a stuttering issue, but was fixed in a patch, i presume steam updated it and everthing for you?

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Yea, updated everything after the install.

Hmm.... I wonder if it is a sound issue. I didn't touch those settings.

Comment

Possibly a sound issue, but it could be an issue with your video card. I have a system close to yours, 1 gig ram P4 3.0C 9800XT, and I run at 1024x768 on med to high settings or 1280x1024 on med with a few higher settings and I have no stuttering at all. I would check your AA and your Ansi with your vid card they can't be set that high or it will induce stuttering and slowness.
              -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

I fixed it. Took the sound to low settings and the stutter is very rare now. (Probably to to some autosave or something.) Was able to take all my video setting back up to high and 1024x768.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

still, sucks to have to do that, glad it worked for you

Comment

It did that to me as well, but I just installed the ATI drivers for my card. The Omega drivers really made me stutter.

Comment

This issue resurfaced after a late-November "patch," and is being discussed pretty extensively on the forums at steampowered.com.

Glad you got it working, though. Hopefully they'll get it fixed to where you can crank the sound settings back up.

Comment

i just purchased half life 2 and am having these exact same problems, tried everything mentioned in here plus alot more, anyone else have any more info on the matter? mabe a solution?

Comment

This can also be due to PCI latency. What sound card are you using? Onboard or seperate card?

- -

Comment

Usually a sound issue. Though I had a similar issue that was actually tied to my ram running in dual channel mode (and the fact that it apparently didn't like to be). Switching out to SC fixed it.
                            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

i have my pci latency on my sound card set at 32 already

my specs are:

amd64 4000+
                              2 gig ocz platinum dual channel kit
                              xfx 7800 gt special edition
                              creative x-fi fatality edition

it doesnt happen in lost coast, only half life 2 single player, ive updated my graphics drivers to even the latest betas and all my sound card drivers are upto date, it appears to be a sound loading issue but it doesnt make sence why it doesnt also do it in lost coast?

thanks in advance

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...