Weird bug from ATI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird bug from ATI

So i just loaded up a level in F.E.A.R. and it kicks me back to desktop with the game still running. A window with a title bar that reads "ATI VPU Recover" pops up, and the error reads, "VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands". It then asks me to send the error report anonymously to ATI.

So, what in the hell is a VPU recover and what should i do about it? Whatever it is, it seems to have made my desktop revert to a lower resolution.

Re: Weird bug from ATI

Does this help?

http://www.foxpop.com/imre/2005/vpur...purecover.html

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Just after reading the first couple of paragraphs of that website, i can safely say im screwed. Apparently i would tediously have to work through 30 things just to find out what the problem was. Maybe this will be a good way to convince my parents i need a new card. :)

Comment

turn your VPR off....you turn that off and it makes things alot easier...you can turn that off in your ATi settings...
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Though I'm sure you've read the ATI thing on VPU recover, I'll put it in layman's terms for the hell of it. VPU recover is a last ditch effort that your ATI card uses to prevent itself from locking up and crashing your machine. It basically tries to restore itself to a previously working state.

VPU recover has saved me numerous times (though, granted, I shouldn't have to need it in the first place). Basically as soon as I bounce out to the desktop and see the message window, I quickly alt+tab back into the game and it's going fine once more. Usually after one VPU recover, there aren't any more until the machine reboots.

Turning your VPU recover off as suggested will keep you from temporarily crashing to the desktop, but remember, that temp reset is what saves you from completely crashing. You're better off leaving it set to on, because you can keep playing after it recovers. Otherwise, prepare for a fun crash-reboot cycle.

As far as how to correct your machine from crashing: different drivers or a new game patch that addresses your issues. I doubt it's anything else, unless you poured coffee on your video card or ripped the heatsink/fan off.
          [squadl]
          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

i only say turn it off cuase im thinking he is having this problem in COD2......a fix for COD1 was to turn it off and it actually worked...but yah if it saves things dont do it...make that your last resort
            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
              As far as how to correct your machine from crashing: different drivers or a new game patch that addresses your issues. I doubt it's anything else, unless you poured coffee on your video card or ripped the heatsink/fan off.
              Im patched up for FEAR, and have the 5.13 catalyst drivers. Ive heard of the Omega drivers, are they worth it? If so, which kind?

Its weird though, FEAR has ran AWESOME so far, and as soon as i got to the urban section it slowed down.

Comment

i use the ATi driver just becuase i haveint gotten switched back over...critics say omega is the way to go....but ive also heard so is Nvidia
                -Vulcan

Comment

I've never used Omega drivers, so I can't say. People say they're good, but I'm still a bit leery at 3rd party drivers, no matter what the rave is. I will say that the 5.13 drivers from ATI were crap for me, they hard-locked my computer about once every 2-3 hours if I was playing WoW; not even a VPU recover, just a crash.
                  [squadl]
                  "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

here santa maybe this might help
                    http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/...00gto/fear.htm

edit scratch that nm it wont help ur problem.
                    wat kinda card u havve?

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
                    Delta MICS
                    Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

9700 pro

Comment

i was looking in on your problem but cant find anything useful. so if u get a new card my suggestions are the 6800 GS and for a little less the x800GTO. did u try turning of cat AI? like the document that we i send u said?

lTG- 187th MICSlSlugslinger
                        Delta MICS
                        Delta Forces Mobile Infantry & Combat Specilist

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse