Upgrade help on products and pricing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade help on products and pricing

I'm looking for the most bang for the buck while still getting forward compatible equipment.

Here's what I've come up with so far, and I know that the processor is not the most economically wise choice:

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=563689

Are the other items good choices? Do you have a better choice? I like www.NewEgg.com , but I'm not limited to them...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

On Sarc's recommendation (I think it was his), I also had good experience ordering stuff from essencompu.com...not a hardware recommendation per se but an alternate place to price out your stuff.
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Not my recommendation, Beep, but thanks for thinking about me. :)

Nice looking choices. The only doubt I have is the 9600XT. I keep thinking you might be happier with a 9700 Pro but that 256MB of ram looks good.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
        Not my recommendation, Beep, but thanks for thinking about me. :)

Nice looking choices. The only doubt I have is the 9600XT. I keep thinking you might be happier with a 9700 Pro but that 256MB of ram looks good.
        256MB of video mem is only good for games that have to generate HUGE scenery...like flightsims, etc.

LOMAC really likes 256 of vid mem...other than that it's pointless for now.

Comment

Originally posted by beep
          On Sarc's recommendation (I think it was his), I also had good experience ordering stuff from essencompu.com...not a hardware recommendation per se but an alternate place to price out your stuff.
          I've ordered from them twice before with great results. Apophis recommended 'em to me. In fact, I ordered 50 ft of their cheap CAT5 for the N42 Bash, and they had just run out (or were too lazy to tip it...) and they sent me 50 ft of CAT5e with the really nice snagproof tips...

Originally posted by sarc
          Yeah, I think I'm gonna look for one... There wasn't a vendor that I recognized on the first page of PriceWatch results for a 9700.

What's the diff between a 9700 and a 9700Pro?

If I'm not going to overclock, any reason to buy any other type of RAM? I just grabbed the cheapest RAM made by a manufacturer I recognized. Is it safe for me to go with a manufacturer I've never heard of?
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Other than bragging rights :D
            I am the one, I am the zero, I am your low resolution hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Bentley
              Other than bragging rights :D
              true

Comment

Motherboards seem to be getting really cheap...I'm thinking it might be time to get rid of this kt400a...

Comment

Retailers I've no idea about but newegg are meant to be one of the cheapest and best in the US from what I've heard on other forums.
                  The motherboard I wouldn't suggest the best two for socket A are the Abit NF7 or NF7-S or the Asus A78NX either the deluxe or normal version. The msi board is really not renound for stability. For memory if you don't plan on overclocking don't worry too much but I would still suggest a good quality brand. My suggestion would be http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-305&catalog=147&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1
                  Good stuff and slightly tighter timings than the kingston and $1 cheaper.

Graphics card is good, but the 256MB RAM is slightly pointless on it as Sarc said a 9700 pro would be alot faster if you can find them.

And the difference between a 9700 and a 9700 pro is clockspeed the 9700 pro runs faster than the 9700. A 9700 is probably slightly slower than the 9600XT.

Probably completely unhelpful and suggesitive for you to spend more money but I try :twisted:

Comment

I am by no means an expert, but do you really think the $199 price tag for the 3000 barton is worth the 300mghz over the 2500 barton which you can get for $89? Just a question, not a judgement.

And, of course, TG recomends Corsair Memory ;)
                    New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid
                      I am by no means an expert, but do you really think the $199 price tag for the 3000 barton is worth the 300mghz over the 2500 barton which you can get for $89? Just a question, not a judgement.

And, of course, TG recomends Corsair Memory ;)
                      No, I mentioned in my original post that I put too large of a processor in my little newegg.com wishlist... It looks to me like the 2600 is actually the "bang for the buck" cutoff...

Good point about Corsair... Gonna have to go check out their stuff...
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

the motherbord you have choosen is only single channel... if your going cheap, id recommend a KT600 chipset, as its far faster than nvidias "cheap" option chipset.

A7V600 comes to mind

save some more money by getting a 2500 barton, bump the fsb upto 200 and youve got a 3200 barton ;)
                        From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by Overlag
                          the motherbord you have choosen is only single channel... if your going cheap, id recommend a KT600 chipset, as its far faster than nvidias "cheap" option chipset.

A7V600 comes to mind
                          This is the kind of info I'm looking for... I know next to nothing about nvidia's chipsets. I've always had good luck with second generation Via chips, though.. Is there a KT600A? :)
                          save some more money by getting a 2500 barton, bump the fsb upto 200 and youve got a 3200 barton ;)
                          Sigh... Perhaps I will...
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality

A7V600 comes to mind
                            This is the kind of info I'm looking for... I know next to nothing about nvidia's chipsets. I've always had good luck with second generation Via chips, though.. Is there a KT600A? :)
                            well, my Nvidia chipset system stutterd and had some wierd issues, that maybe paul put down to AMD issues ;) not to mention the fact Nvidia CANT make IDE drivers, its been 2 years since there Nforce1 came out, and they've yet to make something worth while. oh and its almost my first rig to just die, without any "real" reason ie i dont know why, or its nothing i did.

VIA on the other hand, had some major issues back with KT133, KT133a and KT266, from KT266a its been getting better and better and most hardware issues they had are fixed.

the KT600 chipset, is infact the KT400a, the KT400 couldnt run at 400fsb and the Kt400a was supposed to fix that, but for somereason they called it KT600????? lol

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                            Sigh... Perhaps I will...

why sigh? Almost bartons will hit 3200 at stock voltage, that makes them a 3200, it wont damage them at all because they are running at 3200 default settings just like a real 3200. if it doesnt work at stock voltage, just return it to 2500 and dont worry, the 2500 will do you fine for 6 or so months.

overclocking only damages once u get into the voltage changing range, to FORCE a chip that doesnt want to do <enter speed here>.

OR, if you do get a 2500, keep it at stock as you like, but in the future, as you feel the need to upgrade and have the money, bump it up to 3200 speeds then and get a few more months out of it while your system upgrade "fund" gets bigger :) (thats the 2nd group of overclocker)
                            From Adam Webb

Comment

When I built my machine, here's what I bought...

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe ($120)
                              I bought this board because of the nVidia chip, built in 5.1 sound, dual LAN ports, 400 FSB.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton) ($90)
                              This is a 1.8 GHz chip but is one of the best for overclocking. I easily (very easily) overclocked this to 2.2 GHz (equivalent of Athlon XP 3200). If you don't mind overclocking, the 2500+ will give you the most processing power for your buck.

I also purchased an nVidia video card because supposedly an nVidia card will work better with the nVidia chipset. But not completely sure on that. Plus, nVidia has better driver support and I haven't had any problems playing BF and Savage.

Now I bought this last year so prices may have dropped.
                              |TG-12th| asch
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...