Linux Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Questions

My other help threads must have been archived....

i want to switch to Vector linux from Unbunto..just to check things out....will that screw up my grub or will it just uninstall and then install a new updated version.....?
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: Linux Questions

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
    My other help threads must have been archived....

i want to switch to Vector linux from Unbunto..just to check things out....will that screw up my grub or will it just uninstall and then install a new updated version.....?
    It will install over the old one...

Comment

You can do a dual boot setup and set up a diffrent partition and install there. Search "dual boot linux." I got a tutorial to work with win2000 and mandrake dualbooting, there must be one for dual linux ones too.

Comment

You could make another partition and install the alternative to it. Then set GRUB to select between them. They all use the same filesystems, so you can mount one's filesystem from the other. Disks are cheap enough that you could buy a couple hundred gig and experiment with lots of alternatives.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Dual-linux is easy. It's just another entry in grub.conf. My system has WinXP64, FC4 i386, and FC4 x86_64. My grub.conf has lots of entries, because every time a new kernel comes out it adds a new entry for the two FC4 setups. (Always install, don't upgrade, a new kernel. That way you can fall back on the old one if the new one doesn't like your hardware.) The Fedora kernel RPM's include a call to a script that adds the entry to grub.conf.

The hardest thing to do was to use a common grub directory. When I installed the 2nd FC4, it set grub to look in its own /boot/grub directory. So for the 1st FC4, I mount the 2nd's /boot/grub over the 1st's, and when I install new kernels on either partition, it only updates the common config file in the 2nd's partition.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
            You can do a dual boot setup and set up a diffrent partition and install there. Search "dual boot linux." I got a tutorial to work with win2000 and mandrake dualbooting, there must be one for dual linux ones too.
            It's actually easy to do....

Ok, here is the quick and dirty way keep your old GRUB options:

When the new linux install prompts you to install LILO/GRUB, opt to put it into the /root directory, not the MBR. The MBR has the boot information for your existing dual boot.

Reboot, log into the old linux install as root, and edit the grub.conf file (usually in /etc).

In that file, you will find a list of OSes that you can boot from GRUB, which looks something like this:

title My Linux
            kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 idebus=66

title Another Distro!
            kernel (hd0,6)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 idebus=66
            All you want to do is copy the existing distro's information, then edit the path to the partition that the new install is on (/dev/hda7).

Save it, then, to check it, reboot again.

You should see 3 options at that point (XP, Ubuntu, Vector).

Total time: 5 minutes.

Comment

Nice. What he said.

(Do you realize that there's no Tux in the smiley collection, but there's a Windows logo?!)

Comment

so ill just install vector over unbunto and it will work...thx for the short easy to understand answer
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...