This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Supply Assistance

Thanks to Gixxer I'm ditching my Athlon XP 1700+ and moving to an Intel 2.6Ghz. The MB it will be running on is a Soyo SY-P4I 845PE.

(http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=241)

It will be running with 1GB PC2700 RAM, a Radeon 9600XT (yeah, I know, but a new video card will have to happen later in the year), 2 CD-RW and 2 HD. I've run through a couple of on-line power supply wattage calculators and it looks like to play it safe (add 30%) I should look at a 400+ watt power supply.
    I need to stay around $40 and it needs to be ATX12V so I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices...

1. MGE PS-500V http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0205554

The thing that concerns me about this one is the +3.3V is 15A while the other power supplies I've looked at are all 25+A. The rest of the numbers are equal or larger than the other power supplies I looked at. The plus on this one is it's normally $43.99 but Micro Center has a $30 MIR for it bringing post-rebate cost to $13.99. Not bad for a 500W PS. Anyone heard of MGE? Although there were only 4 reviews for this PS on NewEgg they were all positive.

2. Raidmax RX450KW
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0230888

Pretty close numbers to the one above except the +3.3V is 28A and the +5.5V isn't quite as high. It's $39.99 so it fits just in the budget and looks nice. Also found it on NewEgg and the reviews are pretty positive.

3. X-Connect ULT31556
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0230417

500W and the overall numbers look better than the other two. Never heard of X-Connect but it's modular which would be nice. I also noticed it comes with a 3 year warranty that is upgraded to a lifetime warranty when you register. It's $69.99 but has a $50 MIR making it $19.99 post-rebate.

I'm open to any feedback/suggestions anyone has. I'm getting a good deal from Gixxer so I don't want to skimp on the PS and pay for it later.
    Last edited by DigitalAssassin; 01-09-2006, 02:35 PM.

Re: Power Supply Assistance

I would recommend something like this Fortron 400W (This happens to be the OEM, there is a retail version for $39.99+S&H):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817104952
    for your needs. Unless you're overclocking or running alot of extra case mods or (lights and fans and what have you) or SLI your PC will only draw around 300W Max load (not gaming load, utter maximum load of all parts), so you don't really *need* a monster Power supply, you're better off going with a slightly smaller model from a good quality brand.

The only thing is that this PS is dual-12V, which some people aren't sold on. (I personally don't use them because my hardware is still 3.3/5V heavy.)

Personally I hate the vast majority of the generic PSU brands, and tend to stick to names like Antec, Fortron Source (FSP), OCZ, and PCp&C (extreme needs only).

as for what you suggested, I would go with the raidmax, but never for big MFR deals (there is always a reason they want or need to dump them off at such prices...)
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

No SLI but I do have a lot of LED fans (120MM rear fan, 80MM side panel fan, 80MM top fan and 20 80MM front intake fans, all LED.

Yeah, back from the days when I was in my modding crisis and when my system ran hot because of the living environment. :)

Comment

Any other thoughts? Although I hadn't heard of the brand before now the X-Connect appears to have received numerous positive reviews from respectable sites. It's not their most current model but the voltages seem to be rock solid. The lifetime warranty seems like a good deal as well.

Need to make a decision by Thursday as that's when I should receive the new MB/CPU/RAM from Gixxer...

http://ultraproducts.com/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin
          Any other thoughts? Although I hadn't heard of the brand before now the X-Connect appears to have received numerous positive reviews from respectable sites. It's not their most current model but the voltages seem to be rock solid. The lifetime warranty seems like a good deal as well.

Need to make a decision by Thursday as that's when I should receive the new MB/CPU/RAM from Gixxer...

http://ultraproducts.com/index.php
          I Just put a system together with one of those PSU and the assembly was very clean whick I like. I have one but a diffent model and the cables were a bit stiff so mine doesn't look as nice as the one I did the other day. As far as performance I do know a friend that runs one of the Ultra x-connect SLI with 2 eVGA 7800 gt's so that would be my suggestion. Hope that helps
          sigpic

Comment

I would never buy a PSU from a manufacturer that you have to ask this question about.

Stick with the guys you know you can trust, like Spyder said. If XConnect or Raidmax or whatever puts out a good PSU on a consistent basis, it won't be long until they're added to the list of guys you can trust...
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Well, although I hadn't heard of X-Connect much before yesterday when you look at the reviews of their recent products they are from some bigger sites. Looks like they are usually pretty pricey ($100+) which may be why I haven't heard of them as much.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback all. Just so happens I have a co-worker who has been running that exact X-Connect power supply for over a year and has had ZERO problems. To hard to pass up a modular 500W power supply for $20 after rebate especially after reading all the reviews and seeing it is rock solid voltage-wise so I picked one up at lunch.

Apparently Micro Center is clearing them out because of some new models of X-Connect power supplies coming in. Rebate is valid through 1/29/05 if anyone else is interested.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X