Hardware Upgrades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Upgrades

The time has come for me to do a fairly major hardware upgrade. Everything is ordered; I'm just waiting for the memory to arrive before I begin assembly.

I'm going from

- P4 2.4GHz CPU (800 MHz FSB)
    - 1GB PC3200 SDRAM
    - 80GB ATA100 RAID (RAID 0 with two 40GB HDs)

to

- P4 3.4GHz CPU (800 MHz FSB)
    - 2GB PC3200 SDRAM
    - 160GB SATA150 RAID (RAID 0 with two 80GB HDs)

I also replaced the fan/heatsink on my Northbridge chip. :)

It's been over two-and-a-half years since I've done a major hardware ugrade, so I'm really looking forward to it. Just thought I'd share. Thanks to Bubba and wildcat2000 for some great input on memory.

Re: Hardware Upgrades

what cha gonna do with the old proc and MB...
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I'll be using the same mobo (an ABIT IC7-G), which has been going strong since May of 2003. I probably won't get a new mobo for another couple of years, so this mobo will likely surpass my old BH6 as my longest serving mobo.

The CPU will go to my folks, who get my gaming "hand-me-downs" for their home system.

Comment

nice....sounds like your system will be a good one when its done
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

I hope so, although now I won't be able to blame my crappy gaming scores on my system! ;)

Comment

Thanks to Gixxer_USMC I'm upgrading as well. I'm going to have to stick to my current video card (9600XT) which is a bit dated for a while but that's life.

I'm going from an AMD 1.4Ghz to an Intel 2.6Ghz. Staying with 1GB PC2700 RAM and my existing drives, which aren't much but enough for my needs.

Also decided to upgrade from my 350W Antec PS to a 500W Ultra modular PS.

I know really all that is changing is CPU but I'm hoping to see a bit better performance.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin
              Thanks to Gixxer_USMC I'm upgrading as well. I'm going to have to stick to my current video card (9600XT) which is a bit dated for a while but that's life.

I'm going from an AMD 1.4Ghz to an Intel 2.6Ghz. Staying with 1GB PC2700 RAM and my existing drives, which aren't much but enough for my needs.

Also decided to upgrade from my 350W Antec PS to a 500W Ultra modular PS.

I know really all that is changing is CPU but I'm hoping to see a bit better performance.

When I was running this board and chip, I had basicaly the same set-up.. ( 1 GIG Ram ) but I did have a better video card ( X800XL )

Game was still running really well and at Medium settings I was still getting fairly good frame rates.

I think you will be happy with the performance boost you get from this chip.

Now that I upgraded to an AMD 3700+ ( San Diego ), 2 GB PC3200 RAM and a Creative X-FI Fatal1ty sound card .....This game really smokes!

Good Luck with the New Board and Chip.
              |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
              [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer_USMC
                Now that I upgraded to an AMD 3700+ ( San Diego ), 2 GB PC3200 RAM and a Creative X-FI Fatal1ty sound card .....This game really smokes!
                Damn, nice rig!

Comment

We have very similar machines, Gixxer...I have an X850 instead of your X800, but I use the onboard sound instead of a Creative card. How do you find the sound card? Is it truly worth the investment?
                  |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMann
                    We have very similar machines, Gixxer...
                    Damn, nice rig! :D

I use the onboard sound instead of a Creative card. How do you find the sound card? Is it truly worth the investment?
                    I only have an Audigy 4, but I can tell you even with mine that it's much better than onboard sound. With my dedicated sound card I have clearer sound, better performance, better compatibility, and it only cost me about $80US. I think it's worth it.

If you're asking specifically about the X-Fi, then I'll defer to others (Gixxer) with that card. :)

Comment

I love my audigy 2 ZS, if only because it let's me run my logitech 5.1 speakers :D
                      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Well, with a quick BIOS flash I was able to install my new CPU last night, so at least I've been able to test it and my new RAM. Nice improvements. I'll probably test my system in this configuration for a few more days before installing the rest of my new components (which, of course, will involve a fresh installation of all my software).

My final system configuration will (still) be based on a socket478 CPU and AGP video, but I think it'll be a contender for a few more years. Hopefully by then, 64-bit systems will be the norm, and I can make a major upgrade to that architecture. So, here's what I'll be running for the next few years:

- ABIT IC7-G Motherboard (Revision 1.0)
                        - P4 3.4GHz CPU (Prescott)
                        - Antec 430W PSU (this I may need to uprade sooner rather than later)
                        - 2GB OCZ PC3200 DDR SDRAM
                        - Hitachi 160 GB SATA150 RAID 0 (2x 80GB)
                        - BFG Nvidia GeForce 6800GT OC 256MB DDR3 AGP 8X
                        - Sound Blaster Audigy4
                        - Sony DVD-ROM
                        - Sony DVD-RW

Cheers!

Comment

Sweet...that should hold you for a while. I think S478 and AGP have some life left, though I'd be wary of making a big investment in them. Good hunting, Strag!
                          |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Sweet...that should hold you for a while. I think S478 and AGP have some life left, though I'd be wary of making a big investment in them. Good hunting, Strag!
                            Thanks, Manner! I'm only sticking with s478 and AGP because I already have a majority of the components. So, I just upgraded my CPU to the max that my mobo can support, and I also added a gig of RAM. Not a huge investment, but hopefully one that will tide me over until 64-bit is more mainstream.

The new hard drives are actually SATA2, but they're backward compatible to SATA1, and they were dirt cheap. So my intention is to use these two drives in SATA1 mode for now, and then carry them forward with SATA2 to the next system I get.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X