We are going backwards in time!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are going backwards in time!

This could be a mid 80's product. Look alot like the Apple's and c64's of that time.

http://www.cybernetman.com/default.cfm?DocId=602
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: We are going backwards in time!

haha, i laugh so hard at that , i mean , who will buy them? 1 expansion slot? WTF? I think this type of product is aimed at nubs, clever though.
    Abehep

Comment

Originally posted by Craigster
      haha, i laugh so hard at that , i mean , who will buy them? 1 expansion slot? WTF? I think this type of product is aimed at nubs, clever though.
      Dude - I bet it flys bigtime. SFF systems and Terminal/client systems are hitting hard right now.. it's no game machine of course but it'll be fantastic on a school desk where there are going to be over 3000 workstation/clients.

I have 4 large jobs right now all tending to the SFF boxes.. all over 500 units. One (as mentioned above) is over 3000 - for the record this job's clients have NO expansion slots.
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I think there is definately a market for it. Me, I'm thinking it'd make a great kitchen PC(I so want a PC in the kitchen for browsing recipes, looking stuff up while on the phone, etc). Though it's a bit expensive for that I suppose.

Comment

These things have been around forever. They're niche products.
          |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

I bet that keyboard would keep my hands warm in the winter.
            [squadl]
            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
              I bet that keyboard would keep my hands warm in the winter.
              Ohhhhh.. yeeaaahhhh.. I bet that keyboard would get pretty warm wouldn't it.
              sigpic

Comment

Looks like a really clunky laptop to me.
                sigpic

Comment

Is that my Vic-20?
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

im surpised to see a actually HD in this one....most like that are just flash rom....xp and all programs already preloaded on a stick of ROM.....cool design though
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

Once you've got USB 2.0 (480 Mbps) you don't really need slots for anything but video expansion.

I used to see this design a lot in the back of the computer journals like eWeek and Byte, back when I subscribed to the paper editions. It's a reasonable design for non-game use, esp. for POS situations. The biggest problem is the lack of upgradability. You pretty much have to replace the whole unit if you want a newer motherboard.

What other good SFF systems have people seen? I've seen MicroATX, such as the Antec Aria (a nice gamer case). And I've seen little "bricks" that would fit in PC-104 enclosures.

For low-end hardware Linux is a good OS solution, as it scales down to the low end much better than Windows. It's more modular so you can trim off a lot of the fat you're not using.
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

It doesn't get much smaller -
                        http://www.chippc.com/products/thinc...ckpc/index.asp
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                          Once you've got USB 2.0 (480 Mbps) you don't really need slots for anything but video expansion.

I used to see this design a lot in the back of the computer journals like eWeek and Byte, back when I subscribed to the paper editions. It's a reasonable design for non-game use, esp. for POS situations. The biggest problem is the lack of upgradability. You pretty much have to replace the whole unit if you want a newer motherboard.

What other good SFF systems have people seen? I've seen MicroATX, such as the Antec Aria (a nice gamer case). And I've seen little "bricks" that would fit in PC-104 enclosures.

For low-end hardware Linux is a good OS solution, as it scales down to the low end much better than Windows. It's more modular so you can trim off a lot of the fat you're not using.
                          I have 5 Shuttle XPCs 3 at the office for the office assistants, 1 at home for the wife and one I built out for a friend. Impressivley well made and efficient. The one at home has a ATI 800XL added onto it and will effectively run BF2 cleanly and smoothly... not bad at all. I think the Chip is a Intel 630.
                          sigpic

Comment

Both of my parents have Sony VAIOs which are built into the monitor. They love them. These aren't for nubs, they're for people who need low- to medium-end performance.

Check it. With a 2.8ghz P4, 120BG hard drive and 512mb of RAM, it has more performance than 99% of the people who buy them will ever need.
                            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot
                              Wow, nice find. It's not real powerful (in gamers' terms) but would be great for green screen and POS stuff. Kinda low on memory, but that would argue for using a lightweight OS like Linux, which scales downwards well.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X