Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• command to enable/disable network adapter

Windows XP Home

I can right-click on a network adapter in "Network Connections" to enable or disable the adapter itself.

I need a command (a la commandline) which I can execute to perform these (enable/disable) functions. Any ideas?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: command to enable/disable network adapter

Here's this from chicagotech.net, perhaps not quite what you're looking for. Basically looks like just releasing the IP from your computer, but not disabling the card itself.

How to enable/disable LAN from command line temporally

You can created a batch file that include ipconfig /release or ipconfig /renew, and use schedule to run it. If you use static IP, you may use netsh instead of ipconfig command. If you want to one way access, you may manage it by using server service and workstation service.
    http://www.chicagotech.net/connectiv...e%20temporally
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

That, indeed, is not what I'm seeking. Thank you, though.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Also just found this, which also may not be what you're looking for. But hey, I'm trying. :P

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q311272
        [squadl]
        "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Hey, that's a cool little utility, Tarpan. I'm glad Wyz asked.
          |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

In principle, "netsh interface set interface name=IFname admin=disable" should do it, but it looks like Win2k is rejecting this command for no good reason. I suspect this is broken until Win2003. (If this was open source, I'd just fix it and submit a patch.)
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I can't think of a way to actually "disable" the card. Releasing the IP would work.

From the commandline type:

"ipconfig /release "

That will release the ip completely. To get a new ip it would be:

"ipconfig /renew"

To check current ip and such try this:

"ipconfig /all"

Hope this helps
              Retired 6th DB

Comment

This is one of those things that drives me nuts about GUI-centric systems like Windows. All the control mechanisms visible to users require GUI manipulation. Scripting is an afterthought. You have to buy the server class OS (eg. Win2003) to get this kind of functionality.

With *nix, you build the command line interface first, then build a GUI front end to invoke the command line. This makes it easy to change the UI. For instance, you can create a web-based front-end, or otherwise frob the system from arbitrary inputs. You could even build a custom hardware front panel with bat-handle switches and write some glue code to make it operate your standard command line utility to bring the network up and down.

I'll bet Wyzcrak wants to set up a pressure mat so that his dog can turn his network card on and off! :p
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

My purpose in this was to disable my first network adapter, as its being enabled while my sound card is in use causes unsatisfactory video performance on my machine (long story, not relevant). This is never a problem unles I'm gaming in some sort of fullscreen engine.

I thought that the first adapter being enabled at all was all that was necessary for the performance problem. I decided to try "releasing" the adapter, and that seems to remove the performance problem (network packets travel over my second network adapter, which does not cause this performance problem).

Despite the fact that gameplay's data travels over the second adapter, I suppose the network-quering data/etc that travels over the first adapter while I'm playing on the second is what was causing the performance problem. Stopping that data, even though the first adapter remains "enabled," seems to have been sufficient.

So, release/renew, while not what I wanted, has served my needs nicely enough. HLSW (using the commandline join/leave commands) automatically releases the first adapter when I join a server and automatically renews it when I come out of the server (I have need of the second adapter being enabled when I'm not in a game.), leaving me with most satisfactory system performance in the game.

Many thanks to those who contributed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                    My purpose in this was to disable my first network adapter, as its being enabled while my sound card is in use causes unsatisfactory video performance on my machine (long story, not relevant). This is never a problem unles I'm gaming in some sort of fullscreen engine.

I thought that the first adapter being enabled at all was all that was necessary for the performance problem. I decided to try "releasing" the adapter, and that seems to remove the performance problem (network packets travel over my second network adapter, which does not cause this performance problem).

Despite the fact that gameplay's data travels over the second adapter, I suppose the network-quering data/etc that travels over the first adapter while I'm playing on the second is what was causing the performance problem. Stopping that data, even though the first adapter remains "enabled," seems to have been sufficient.

So, release/renew, while not what I wanted, has served my needs nicely enough. HLSW (using the commandline join/leave commands) automatically releases the first adapter when I join a server and automatically renews it when I come out of the server (I have need of the second adapter being enabled when I'm not in a game.), leaving me with most satisfactory system performance in the game.

Many thanks to those who contributed.
                    This helps a little more.. Is this first network adapter on-board or is it a PCI card? If it is the latter, try moving it to another PCI slot.
                    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

It's on-board, as is the sound. Neither can be moved.

Forgive the confusion in the thread. I had grand visions of not bothering you folks with more situation-specific details than need be. Sure, the solution I've got now may not be ideal, but the older I get, the less I care about ideal when it comes to computers. The damn thing is doing what I want now, and I'm happy. :)

Many thanks again to everyone who helped.

Comment

Not to unnecessarily revive an old thread, but this may apply too: http://www.kbalertz.com/262265/recei...s.Windows.aspx

Comment

Thanks, Rampage! I appreciate the find. That'll come in handy, later if not now. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X