HOW DO I?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW DO I?????

I have a 2 megabit cable connection which i want to share with a computer i have upstairs.
    what do i need to do/get to make this possible??

does the cable modem use ethernet to connect to your pcs? or USB?

oh and different areas (and countries) use different ways of connecting stuff
    From Adam Webb

Comment

Unless you want to run cables, either on the floor (laying there or hidden behind baseboard moulding, etc.) or through the walls, I'd consider going wireless. I just went with a wireless-g router and PCI card which works very well, can't comment on network (LAN) speed and performance in general as I only have one PC. I'd imagine that if network performance is more important to you than solving remote connectivity issues then you would probably want to consider good cables. In another month or so I'll hopefully have my Xbox plugged into a wireless bridge, that's the plan. Good luck!

Comment

Re: HOW DO I?????

Originally posted by GAZ
        I have a 2 megabit cable connection which i want to share with a computer i have upstairs.
        what do i need to do/get to make this possible??
        What OS are you using? If you're not ever going to have more than two computers sharing the connection, then you might just buy an extra NIC for your computer and have it act as a router using Windows Internet Connection Sharing.

Using a residential router would be much easier, though. Something like this: http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=561 It's going for around $50 now... (If Apophis sees this, he's going to feel obligated to make a "linksys sucks, netgear rules" post...) Just add cables and you've got yourself a network. This is what I'm using, and it's worked flawlessly.

Wireless might be better for you, it'll just cost a bit more...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

using win xp.
          modem is ethernet or usb currently using the latter.
          dont know if wireless will work as downstairs is in garage (bad area for any reception) and upstairs is in bedroom. if i get a hub do i need any special software to run it as i dont want to slow my main comp down any.

Comment

I'm downstairs on the other end of the house from my router and I haven't had a hiccup aside from the fact that my cordless phone doesn't appreciate the competition. If there's no concrete or sheets of lead between you and the router I think you'd be pleasantly suprised. I was skeptical to begin with also but feel it works well enough to recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by GAZ
              using win xp.
              modem is ethernet or usb currently using the latter.
              dont know if wireless will work as downstairs is in garage (bad area for any reception) and upstairs is in bedroom. if i get a hub do i need any special software to run it as i dont want to slow my main comp down any.
              A hub will slow things down, a router will not (well, not usually...).
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yeah, just get the router. It's pretty easy to set up. The instructions should explain it clearly and there shouldn't be any software that you have to install.

DeRanger has a good idea to try out wireless. If the two computers are far apart or you don't want to break down walls to run cable, it's easy to do wireless. In fact, you might save some dough by going wireless if you need long lengths of cable.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I saw a deal at walmart today, wireless router-b and wireless nic for $50.00. Not as fast as the -g but might work for you.
                  Someone has to do it, it might as well be me.

Comment

thanks guys :)

Comment

So, what's the verdict? :)

Comment

All your home networking problems solved:
                        www.practicallynetworked.com

That got me sorted. I connected 3 98SE computers through a hub with under-carpet cabling. Only had to drill a few holes. They then all shared the NTL cable connection using ICS. Adding XP computers was just a matter of plugging them into the hub.
                        Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

*caution* Do not get 2.4ghz wireless router if you have a 2.4 ghz phone. When someone uses the phone bingo your off, so either get a 5ghz wireless router or with a 2.4 ghz phone or the other way around.

Or buy a 2.4ghz phone that you can regulate which channel it can use. This way you can have your phone using the highest channel and the router using the lower ones.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X