Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I upgrade or build a new computer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I upgrade or build a new computer?

Hey guys, I'm looking for some input here. Here's the specs on my current machine:

P4 2.4ghz
    1.5G Ram
    Geforce FX5500 AGP
    2x 80G HD
    onboard sound

Obviously my bottleneck here is the video card. I run bf2 on low resolution and settings and in wide open spaces with little action on screen I get about 20-25fps. In or next to buildings that drops to 5-15fps, basically unplayable (that's also when most of my deaths occur!) So here are my choices: build a new system, buy a new card, or stick with sniping from long distances in open areas and dying whenever there's lots of upclose action. What do you guys think?

Upgrading the video card would be the most economical option, since my cpu and ram are fine. But, upgrading means buying another AGP card which I won't beable to move to whatever new system I decide to build in the future. Maybe this isn't so bad. But I'm unsure. By the way, I'm a poor graduate student so I really don't have the ability to upgrade whenever. Putting off buying a new system means I get more milage out of what I already own.

Re: Should I upgrade or build a new computer?

why dont you get a new motherboard that has PCI E, and a PCI E vid card, and put all your other stuff onto the new motherboard. Im not much of a tech buff, but i think this would be a smart choice.

I am currently looking for a new vid card myself. A bunch of people have recommended the Geforce 6600GT, so you may want to check that out ($115-130)

PS: ARRRRGGGG
    veh-JEET
    No, it doesn't mean anything...yet

Comment

I'll echo Vegeet's recommendation that a PCIe motherboard and video card is your best choice. I recognize that it's a larger investment but anything else is a dead-end. That said, some have suggested a mobo with both AGP and PCIe capabilities. I consider that to be a compromise because there are superior PCIe-only mobos available; however, it is more economical.
      |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

Well buying a new montherboard+videocard basically means I'm buying a new computer. Since I'd have to go with a new cpu and perhaps pc3200 ram. Those are all the pricier components of a computer. Would it be better to do that or on top of that buy a harddrive, case+PSU, and optical drive and have two computers (one as a backup).

I was wondering if you guys think it would be worth buying a geforce 6600 of some sort to hold me off from building a new computer for 6-8 months. I could build a new computer now. I have the money saved up. But if I can wait 6 months, I'll beable to buy better components at the same prices, I hope.

Comment

I would go ahead now, because although you could buy the same components cheaper, those components are going to be that much more outdated. So go now and when the new wave comes, upgrade.

Comment

I'm sorry...what are the details on your CPU and RAM?

Comment

P4 2.4ghz socket 478
              1.5Gigs pc2700 ram

Comment

I would pickup a 6600GT as a temp solution to last you about a year. Should run most games on medium settings at a average res fine. Come 07 your 2.4 P4 is going to start to really hold you back. By then I would bet dual core cpu's will really start to come into play and become reasonable in price.
                |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Are there no S478 boards that would do the trick? I guess everything's LGA775 now, isn't it?

Comment

How does the 6600gt 128MB compare to the 256MB version? The latter seems to be, on average, a good $50 more.

Comment

Just get a 6800GS if your ok with spending $50 over the 128mb cards.

And to preempt Keithmann, the X800 GTO 2 is a nice alternative as well if you are ok with unlocking pipes and overclocking.

(Both are around $200 which is a bit more than $50 over the 128MB 6600GT's)
                      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Hey Mantis, I ended up going with the 6600gt 128meg. The 6800gs agp version is more expensive than the pci-e version--at ~$225. So that's $100 more than the 6600gt w/rebate. And all of the 6600gt 256megs were around $180. Since I really only play one graphics intensive game, bf2, hopefully the 128meg card will get me by till next year when the amd dual cores drop in price.

My only worry is that the lousy dell 250watt psu won't handle a 6600gt. What makes it worse is that if the psu can't handle it, there's no way to easily upgrade the psu since dell uses proprietary psu connectors.

Comment

I would imagine you'll be fine but I'm just guessing here. 2.4 P4 + 6600GT isn't exactly a power hungry combo. With that information though its a good thing you didn't go for the GS...I would be worried there.
                          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I've been running a P4 2.4GHz with a 6600GT 128MB AGP successfully for several months now, although I do have a 430W PSU. I have 1GB of PC3200 RAM. I run BF2 at 1024x768 with all settings set to Medium and get fairly smooth frame rates.

Comment

Doh. The 6600gt Newegg sent me had a fan that wasn't even attached to the heatsink. The 3 screws that hold it in place were missing, and it looked like somebody tried to glue the fan to the the heatsink (but glue melts at high temps.) Does anybody else have these sorts of trouble with Newegg? I'm sort of hit or miss with them. They obviously repackage returned merchandise and resell it as new (which is legal I guess). But, they seem to resell items that were returned as defective sometimes. Anyhow, I guess I'm stuck with the Fx5500 for a couple more days till the replacement comes.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X