Your Opinion on Additional Memory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Opinion on Additional Memory

I am running a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor, on a BFG Tech nForce 4 Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard with two gigs of CORSAIR XMS 2GB (4 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory.

My question is, how will my system handle bumping up to 3 or 4 gigs total memory? The mobo says it can take up to 4 gigs, but can my processor handle it?
    Last edited by Bubba; 01-13-2006, 03:08 PM.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Re: Your Opinion on Additional Memory

Isn't it a question of speed of the RAM or mobo? I was thinking of upgrading from 1 to 2 or 3 but im not sure.

Comment

Yes, your processor can handle it. Windows XP will only handle a combined total (physical plus virtual) of 4GB, however, unless of course you're using the 64-bit version.

Personally, I'd set up some system monitoring software in the background and check the results before making the investment; my guess is that 2GB is meeting your needs and adding RAM beyond that would not be beneficial at this time.

Edit: I did a little additional reading and before adding RAM beyond 2GB to an WinXP 32-bit system, do your research. There are some considerable caveats.
      Last edited by KeithMann; 01-13-2006, 10:53 AM.
      |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

I presently run 2 Gigs of RAM, and as you know, it helpes run the games much better than 1 Gig. From accounts of people I know who have gone past the 2 gig level, they found little, or no improvment in gameplay.

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

It is not just for gaming. I am venturing into auto cad as well.

Comment

From people I have talked to, 1gig is about the standard today. There's a big noticeable difference going from 256Mb->512Mb->1G, but after that it kinda trails off. I have 1gig of ram, and have no problems in any of the games I play.

For a while, games were video card intensive. Then, they were ram intensive. Now they've become processor intensive. My example here is CS:S and Empire Earth 2. I had been running an Athlon 1800XP with 1gig of ram and a Radeon 9700pro card. Both games were playable, but suffered in performance. I upgraded just my processor (with a new mobo, of course) to an Athlon 64 3200+, and it was like night and day difference. Both games ran smooth as could be. Another example is BF2 and WoW. About two weeks ago, I upgraded to a Radeon x850xt video card. I know that behind the scenes, it runs better than my 9700pro. But my eyes don't see one bit of difference. The only reason I upgraded was to bring my video card into the "we support this hardware" area.

Obviously, a balanced setup is the best, but I would say that focussing on moving the processor up to today's specs will get you farther in comparisson than most other upgrades. Ram upgrades will help, but only to a point, and I would say 1gig is about were it tapers off. If I got more ram, I wouldn't go past 2gig, because I think it'd be a waste of money. I can only shake my head at the people who rave that 2gig is the minimum requirement for smooth gaming.

One thing you might consider is is getting 2x1024 sticks, and running in dual channel mode if your mobo supports it. That will, in theory, improve your ram performance, and you won't have to spend all the extra money for 3-4gigs.
            [squadl]
            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

If you are venturing into the area of AutoCAD I would suggest definitely upgrading to the 2 gigs and depending on how well the computer runs to then look into the additional amounts of RAM. Having a Athlon 64 processor helps you out a lot in the fact that having an onboard memory controller and speeds up access to the memory. This is one reason why the Athlon 64's on DDR get approximitly the same access times and bandwith as some of the higher frequency DDR2 RAM that the newer P4's use. Just for all around use 2 gigs should be fine until most if not all the programs we use for everyday use (including OS's, games, browsers, Office programs and such) go to natively 64-bit. Hopefully by then we won't have switched to another form of RAM so the DDR RAM you buy today will not be in vain of having it lying around doing nothing but run in your old computers that you don't use anymore.
              -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                I can only shake my head at the people who rave that 2gig is the minimum requirement for smooth gaming.
                I do agree with your statement, Tarpan. Until recently I had only 1GB of fast RAM and it was sufficient for all the games I played EXCEPT for BF2 which is an absolute memory hog. I upgraded to 2GB in dual channel just for this game, and my system is not on the low-end as far as specs go (AMD64 3000, ATI X850XTPE). Before the upgrade to 2 gigs I was suffering from 4-8 minute map load times and serious lagging/hitching for up to a minute after spawning. The extra memory did the trick for me and for many others that I know.

Comment

Bf2 should not be used as the benchmark for Ram needed for your "average gaming computer" because the game is way more system intensive than it has any need to be. I personally blame EA, but that's just me =P. My official line is that 1GB is fine for anything but bf2. 2GB for bf2 max settings, and more is always better when you start doing video editing or other high-level simulation/drafting work etc. etc.
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

My brother goes with 8 GB and puts the whole directory in a RAM disk for lightning loads. :D
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Be careful with using 4 ram modules with the AMD64 procs as it tends to reduce the speed one notch when using low density modules. I didn't realize this when I stuck in 4x512mb ram a month ago, I actually backed off to 1GB to keep running it at higher speed.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. With what you all have said and a little research I am going to go with a total of 3 gig. From what I have heard 4 is going to be a bit slow for some things and 3 will do me good for auto cad.

Comment

With 3GB I think you'll find the operating system takes 1GB and leaves 2GB for the application. Please let us know how it works out because I for one am curious.
                          |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

ram is very important for such processes as rendering 3d environments, especially later on during development when there are alot of polys in the viewports, if the moneys burning a hole and your going to be doing alot of high res image editing and 3d modeling id say go for it, but for games you wont see an improvment.

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X