Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unstable system / Random restarts

Looks like I need help.

I've keep my mouth shut about it, but now it's getting unbearable....I'm going to have to fix it.

Ever since I got my new computer about 3 months ago, it's been randomly restarting. It doesn't seem random, however....For example, my computer will restart every time if I try to close AOL instant messager during one of it's annoying "Sound Ads". Just a cold reboot.

It appears to be a conflict of some sort, but I have NO idea how to remedy it. Does anyone have any advice for me, or things I could do to fix it? Any help would be appriciated.

What are you computer specs?

Is the sound card in the first PCI (if it's not onboard)?

See if there's an update for your sound card since it seems to happen during a sound event.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Re: Unstable system / Random restarts

Originally posted by MikoLovesYou
      AOL instant messager
      First, turn this off. If the problem goes away, there you are.
      Always start with the obvious. :)
      I do what I can.

cpgf: (n.) Acronym describing a significant other who has not yet acheived full spousal status and is in possession of a cable modem; of note because at YOUR house, you still have dial-up -- and crappy dialup at that.

Comment

P4 3.0 ghz (hyperthreading enabled)
        1 gb ram
        Soundblaster Live!
        geforce fx 5400 (?)
        100 gb HD

That's pretty much it. I believe the sound card may be in the first PCI slot. What would be happening there?

Comment

That first PCI slot shares the same IRQ as the video card. It's best to put it in another slot.

Comment

Could be power..........

do you know what your temperature and voltages are in there?
            From Adam Webb

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
              That first PCI slot shares the same IRQ as the video card. It's best to put it in another slot.

I could I check if it was an IRQ conflict? I have a feeling that may be what it is.

Comment

all irqs will probably be the same under XP anyway...........
                From Adam Webb

Comment

It's something worth try even if WinXP handles IRQs quite well. I once had three sound cards going in one machine without a hitch.

Overlag has a good suggestion about power. Definitely post those specs, including the max combined wattage of the 3 & 5 volt lines plus max amperes per line. It may say 350w or 400w but could be a POS instead of PSU.

Comment

I know nothing about power. Haha....any guides I could read to get you guys this info?

Comment

Check the label on your PSU. It usually has a chart with all the volts and amperes. You might have to disassemble the computer depending on where the label is located. Or, you could take a look at the packaging if you have it.

You're looking for the row that says DC Output. You'll see that it lists the amperes per volt line and, at the end, the combined wattage of the 3.3V and 5V (200w).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X