• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MikoLovesYou
    started a topic Unstable system / Random restarts

Unstable system / Random restarts

Looks like I need help.

I've keep my mouth shut about it, but now it's getting unbearable....I'm going to have to fix it.

Ever since I got my new computer about 3 months ago, it's been randomly restarting. It doesn't seem random, however....For example, my computer will restart every time if I try to close AOL instant messager during one of it's annoying "Sound Ads". Just a cold reboot.

It appears to be a conflict of some sort, but I have NO idea how to remedy it. Does anyone have any advice for me, or things I could do to fix it? Any help would be appriciated.

• =Sarc=
    replied
    Check the label on your PSU. It usually has a chart with all the volts and amperes. You might have to disassemble the computer depending on where the label is located. Or, you could take a look at the packaging if you have it.

You're looking for the row that says DC Output. You'll see that it lists the amperes per volt line and, at the end, the combined wattage of the 3.3V and 5V (200w).

Leave a comment:

• MikoLovesYou
    replied
    I know nothing about power. Haha....any guides I could read to get you guys this info?

Leave a comment:

• =Sarc=
    replied
    It's something worth try even if WinXP handles IRQs quite well. I once had three sound cards going in one machine without a hitch.

Overlag has a good suggestion about power. Definitely post those specs, including the max combined wattage of the 3 & 5 volt lines plus max amperes per line. It may say 350w or 400w but could be a POS instead of PSU.

Leave a comment:

• Overlag
    replied
    all irqs will probably be the same under XP anyway...........

Leave a comment:

• MikoLovesYou
    replied
    Originally posted by =Sarc=
    That first PCI slot shares the same IRQ as the video card. It's best to put it in another slot.

I could I check if it was an IRQ conflict? I have a feeling that may be what it is.

Leave a comment:

• Overlag
    replied
    Could be power..........

do you know what your temperature and voltages are in there?

Leave a comment:

• =Sarc=
    replied
    That first PCI slot shares the same IRQ as the video card. It's best to put it in another slot.

Leave a comment:

• MikoLovesYou
    replied
    P4 3.0 ghz (hyperthreading enabled)
    1 gb ram
    Soundblaster Live!
    geforce fx 5400 (?)
    100 gb HD

That's pretty much it. I believe the sound card may be in the first PCI slot. What would be happening there?

Leave a comment:

• HSantal
    replied
    Re: Unstable system / Random restarts

Originally posted by MikoLovesYou
    AOL instant messager
    First, turn this off. If the problem goes away, there you are.
    Always start with the obvious. :)

Leave a comment:

• =Sarc=
    replied
    What are you computer specs?

Is the sound card in the first PCI (if it's not onboard)?

See if there's an update for your sound card since it seems to happen during a sound event.

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X