wireless PC gaming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless PC gaming

What is the best setup for wireless gaming?(Internal PCI card or wireless bridge or USB)

I bought a newer / used computer from a friend and my dlink (54mb) card works in my older desktop, but will not pick up the network on the new computer.

The card installed fine with no confilicts in thew new computer, but it doesn't see the network and I had it about 3 feet from tne netgear wg624 router while I am testing and downloading drivers.

So if I need to buy another wireless device to get this new comptuer to work, then what would buy?

Older pc:
    2.4 celeron
    512mb ram
    asus antec case an 350 watt power supply
    9200 vid
    80 western digital drive
    P4S8X-X mobo

New computer
    Dell XPS
    3.4 P4
    1 gig ram
    X850 vid
    3X 160 drives

Thank you

Re: wireless PC gaming

If you're going for permanent setup: I'd go PCI. The cards are cheaper and tend to last longer.

If this is temporary: go USB. It's easy to move to another PC and disconnect/reconnect.

Comment

I'm having trouble with a D-Link PCI card at the office. It can see the 3 WAP's (different channels, different keys) and has connected in the past but now I can't get it to show the little circle on the antenna to show that it's connected. Meanwhile, I plugged in a Trendnet USB NIC and it connects to those WAP's just fine. I've also had intermittent failures with a D-Link DI-624 router dropping the wireless link and needing a reboot to clear it, so I'm not big on using D-Link gear anymore. Right now I'm buying all Linksys. (The Trendnet was a personal purchase, on sale at PC Club for $10, to use with my laptop to replace its PCMCIA D-Link adapter.)
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I have installed two linksys pci 802.11g cards and they are flawless.....

I also have a netgear usb dongle for computers I am repairing/ emergencies / mobility. the netgear is great for all of these, but it is obviously weaker at picking up signal that the pci's with the external antenna's.

in tis arena, I will definately say : "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"

the cheap stuff is cheap for a reason..... this doesn't hold for everything, but here is does.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I suspect the hardware is equivalent (everyone just copies the chipset reference design), but the different companies have different levels of competence in their software (ie. firmware, drivers and utilities). Linksys isn't perfect but they do seem to have the best software.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X