DirectX pwnz me, can someone help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectX pwnz me, can someone help?

Here's my problem. I'm a cs major, and for my final project I'm developing a very small rpg that uses directx for video. The book I purchased has code samples in it, as well as a framework the user can implement to speed up production, but the problem is Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, changed the functions for the COM objects for video. Therefore, none of the code in the book will compile. This is the first that I'm learning about directx, and its very frustrating that these compiler errors exist.

I have not yet read the documentation included with the sdk (that's my next task which I'm hoping will solve some problems). My question is if anyone in the community who knows directx would be willing to assist me (kind of a like a big brother program for directx noobs) in developing with it, be willing to answer questions or troubleshoot compiler errors I'm confused by.

If you are willing to do so, either reply in this thread or pm me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

By the way, the problem is inconsistencies in the 9.0 sdk between the original 9.0 release (what the book uses) and the 9.0b 'Summer update' release (what the book came with)

Thanks.

Re: DirectX pwnz me, can someone help?

I'd like to recommend that you instead use Simple Direct Media Layer (SDL). That would give you instant cross-platform compatibility to Mac and Linux. It was developed by the guys at Loki who ported a lot of Windows games to Linux, and works very nicely.

I'm involved in a project that's using the $100 Torque engine from Garage Games and it uses SDL behind the scenes to achieve cross-platform compatibility. You can download a free demo that illustrates the quality and performance of the engine.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Hmm, I'm going to give this some attention. I only see one minor potential problem, but I'm being speculative.

My university offers a graphics class that teaches opengl. Why didn't I take that? Everyone I know who's taken it has said the teacher is a tool. Everyone

Also, projects like these are looked at by the head of the CS department, and he's the type of guy that would go 'Oh you just copied a class we had instead and didn't really use the independent study like you should, failed' because he gets off on it from what we at the school can tell.

In either case though, I will look at this more in depth, and if it seems to be the logical alternative, I'll run it by the professor proctoring my project and see what happens. Thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

I'm guessing "tool" at your U doesn't mean what it does at mine (MIT):

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/tool.html

(Sense 4 is the usual way I use it.)

Note that, under the hood, SGL can use DirectX or OpenGL. And you get a mailing list of fellow users who can answer the hard questions.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X