7800 GT with my 300w PSU.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7800 GT with my 300w PSU.

Hey, in another thread i decided that i was going to go with the 7800 GT for my birthday

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...h-upgrade.html

Only one problem though, the 7800 GT says it needs a minimum 400W PSU. Ive got 300W :(

So i posted it in the thread and people said it depends on the quality of your PSU, so here's my PSU's Info:

Manufacturer: FSP Group Inc.

Model no: 220-240V - 3.5 A, 50 HZ

Max DC Output: 300W (+3.3v & 5v=200W Max)

DC Output: +3.3V = 27.0A (ORG, --i think my writing says that, i jotted it down when i had my case open-----) +5V + 5VSB 2.0 ACPURP

My question: Is this gonna be ok?

Thanks

Re: 7800 GT with my 300w PSU.

couple questions how many optical and HDs do you have and how is your memory configured, how many sticks are on your MB
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Yeah, it depends on how much other crap is sucking your PSU's precious volts. To be safe, though, I'd buy a better PSU before you get a 7800: a 300 Watt from a company I've never heard of might not cut it, and you'd rather be overpowered than underpowered.

Comment

now this solution depends on how much work you want, buy a new case with the PS already inside, those deals always seem to be cheaper then just the PS alone.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Well i got this PC last year. It is an Acer RC950.

Specs:

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Acer_A...GHzHT_200GB_72

ive got 2 hard drives, 2x512MB ram.

Thanks

Comment

looking over the acer specs and their sited, im not sure if you can put a bigger PS into that machine, alot of mass produced computers have weird dimensions on their cases just for this reason, i looked and could not find a place to order a bigger PS or a new one

the only thing i can suggest is to try it...im not saying it will work or not but thats all i can see
            -Vulcan

Comment

Ok thanks for the help +rep

Comment

Ill take a pic with a digi cam of the psu just to check if i could get a bigger PSU in when i get a hold of it later. Ill post it in this thread

Comment

Running with a powersupply that is below spec for the video card places your system at risk for a catatrophic failure.

Now, granted, your system will often be drawing less than 300w and can't really pull more than that, however, you will increase the time that you are maxing out the PS -- which increases the chance that PS will fail and significantly reduces the life span of your PS.

When a power supply fails it has a high risk of causing a cascade of failures as power surges are not uncommon. You run the risk of killing your motherboard, ram, video card, hard drives--- in fact there is a slight chance that you would end up with a box full of dead components.

And that's only one scenario: rampant instability, wear and tear from micro surges and brownouts and even an electrical fire could also result (and may preceed a catostrophic failure).

While I know that most of us are on a budget, a budget 500w power supply can be had for $70-80 at Comp USA or other local PC store (shop online for other deals or better quality items). That's not much to put up against the potential loss of every component in your box.
                  Kornkob

I want to move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Comment

Thanks, well looks like am gunna get a new PSU as long as it can go in my case. (pic coming later)

Are these PSU's easy to install?

Comment

300W of any brand won't cut it. If you do run it, chances are you're going to melt something in your case sooner or later. You deffinantly need a good 400W or better PSU to run that setup. However, your PSU is an fsp, and memory serving all of their PSU's are about the same dimensions (their site claims them all to be the same 150x140x86mm dimensions, I looked at 3-4 of them) (and they hapen to be one of my recommended brands) so I would try buying a 400-450W by that same company. Newegg carries a large variety of them.

As for installing, It really depends on how much space you have. Mostly it'll depend on where the Heatsink for the CPU is and if you have to remove/navigate around it to put in the PSU (a quick pic of the inside of the case would give us all the info we'd need to answer that sufficiently.) But really all there is to it is there are 4 screws on the back of the PSU outside the case, unscrew those and unplug all power cords (make sure PC is unplugged also) and the unit comes right out. Put in the new unit and screw in the back screws (they only go in one way, the screw holes won't line up right if you're twisted around) and re-connect all of the power cords. It's a little more involved than replacing a stick of ram, but not the hardest thing to replace.
                      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

The most difficult part about isntalling a PSU in a standard case is figuring out how to get the wires to reach each component and remembering to plug EVERYTHING in (most modern motherboards have 2 power supply connections-- that's one I've seen lost of people miss).

A PSU is typically held in by 4 screws that you can see on the back of the case. Lay case on its side, remove screws and you can usually extract the PSU.

For beginners I'd suggest that you take careful and copious notes about what was plugged in before you remove the original PSU. Alternately, if you have enough room in the case, do not unplug any of the internal components when you remove it. Put the PSU in the case and then, one by one, unplug connectors from the old PSU and plug in one from the new PSU. This will insure that you get everything plugged back in.

Alternately, places like Best Buy and Comp USA will install things for you if you're nervous. But you'll learn more doing it yourself in a methodical manner.

And then there's the most important peice of advice I got when I was starting out: TAKE YOUR TIME. BE PATIENT. RELAX. Trying to rush through this will only lead to problems.
                        Kornkob

Comment

really? how would having voltage that's too low "melt" stuff? problem is it can't provide enough volts/amps

Comment

Well, by stressing the PSU you will raise the average component tempurature. This could cause something in the PSU to melt over time.

Also, a drop in power might cause a fan to stop working or one of the motherboard's temp sensors to nto read properly, causing improper cooling which could result in a melting.

Shorts caused by surges could also cause melting.

There are a variety of ways that melting can occur, even with a shortage of power.
                            Kornkob

Comment

Thanks, pic coming soon. Is there any limit on the amount of watts i should get. Or can i go for as much as i want so long it fits in the case?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X